GeForce 9800 GT LinuxMint 21 ala Ubuntu 22.04

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maikcrew
Level 1
Level 1

GeForce 9800 GT LinuxMint 21 ala Ubuntu 22.04

Post by maikcrew »

Hello,
Nouveau does support older graphics cards like the GeForce 9800 GT, but this free loader causes the system to crash hard when running Firefox or Thunderbird. Fortunately, this can be solved by using ppa see https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/u ... ers/222935 But it would be good to tell the creators of Nuveau that something is causing the whole PC to freeze. Afterwards people who don't help themselves will be very disappointed with LinuxMint 21.
Sincerely Michal

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: GeForce 9800 GT LinuxMint 21 ala Ubuntu 22.04

Post by SMG »

maikcrew wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:45 am Hello,
Nouveau does support older graphics cards like the GeForce 9800 GT, but this free loader causes the system to crash hard when running Firefox or Thunderbird. Fortunately, this can be solved by using ppa see https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/u ... ers/222935 But it would be good to tell the creators of Nuveau that something is causing the whole PC to freeze.
Yes, others have found the PPA works for them. See this topic Linux Mint 21 and NVIDIA drivers for instructions.

You can check the Nouveau bug reports to see if your issue has been reported. If not, you can file a new issue so they know about it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
maikcrew
Level 1
Level 1

Re: GeForce 9800 GT LinuxMint 21 ala Ubuntu 22.04

Post by maikcrew »

Interestingly, I searched to see if anyone has solved a similar problem here and didn't find it I guess I typed in a different term. There were some reports on the Noveau forum so I joined there. Will see if there is any change.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”