Input and opinion is asked about a hardware build

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

Input and opinion is asked about a hardware build

Post by ineuw »

As a volunteer, I administer several desktop computers in a community center for retirees. I am planning to provide users with diskless desktops so that they can use a persistent Linux Mint USB key, or an external drive with our hardware. For privacy and maintenance reasons, this is our best long term solution.

I don't know much about PSU's because for the past 14 years I am using only Antec cases and PSUs. I don't know if an external power unit or an ITX power unit is sufficient. My question is, how to calculate the wattage needed to power the following?
  • CPU and cooling fan
    motherboard
    case cooling fan
    USB3 hub
    22"-24" monitor
    mouse wired
    keyboard wired
    video camera
    bluetooth
I've done weeks of research and tests with my desktop, which a 3.90Ghz 7th generation Intel Pentium, and various other desktops and laptops.
Using Sandisk 3.1, version 1, - 64Gb USB key, I concluded, that to provide satisfactory boot and processing speed, this requires the following hardware:
  • A mini-ITX or a micro-ATX motherboard, with socket 1200 with USB 3.2 (version 2x2) and eSATA connection.
    Intel Pentium Gold G6405 4.1GHz CPU and 8Gb RAM and USB 3.2 + socket A.
    A USB drive 3.2 version 2x2, (or an external SSD drive, preferably eSATA) This is the first USB version that can match the bus speed of current generation motherboards.
The minimum capacity of currently available USB3.2 version 2, is 256Gb, which is a lot more disk space than required. A fully installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 OS with all apps is about than 20Gb.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
Laptop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English - as of 24-04-15
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Input and opinion is asked about a hardware build

Post by kato181 »

I Run a Cooler Master V750 Gold-V2 750W 80+ Gold Fully Modular Power Supply on my asus prime x570-pro with 2x m.2 ssd nvme and 2 mechanical drives with a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X cpu and running a disk drive dock also and don't have a problem.
reticulatus

Post by reticulatus »

Have you tried any of the on-line power calculators such as:

https://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ineuw »

Much thanks for your replies, and apologies the late reply.

I forgot to mention that I wanted a mini-ITX board to fit in a mini-ITX case. Heat accumulation was my concern, while trying to have the smallest possible footprint.

The power issues are resolved. The recommended power supply is 250 watts max for surge demands, but the continuous demand is about 140 watts which includes the Intel onboard video of maximum 25 watts. (from 17w to 25w).

The https://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/ seems to have been deactivated because the sublinks loop back to this link.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
Laptop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English - as of 24-04-15

Return to “Hardware Support”