Lenovo Ryzen 4700U crashes every 10 minutes

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Lenovo Ryzen 4700U crashes every 10 minutes

Post by Dukenukemx »

I bought myself a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ARE05 and been having a hard time running Linux Mint on it. The more I use the laptop the more likely the screen suddenly goes black. I've done all sorts of ideas to see why this has been happening and I've been contacting the seller telling them I want to return it, but they suggested I install Windows. Though Linux Mint is installed onto a NVME drive, I did install Windows 10 onto a 2.5 inch drive and so far it hasn't crashed and went black.

My question is that is this a known problem with AMD Ryzen 4700U's on Linux or something related to Lenovo? I know this is a relatively new CPU, but I would think Linux fully supports it by now? Also, I haven't used Windows long enough to be certain that this is a Linux issue yet. I'm going to continue to use it with Windows 10 but I'd like to know if this is or isn't a known issue and maybe I do have a defensive laptop? The more time I wait the less I'm able to return it and get my money. If it's a known kernel bug then I have no problem waiting for a fix to make it work stable.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Lenovo Ryzen 4700U crashes every 10 minutes

Post by all41 »

define crash, screen black, unresponsive?? say more
my guess--not due to Ryzen
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Dukenukemx wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:00 am I bought myself a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ARE05 and been having a hard time running Linux Mint on it.
What Linux Mint are you running? There are multiple versions of Linux Mint available and each version has multiple kernels which can be used with it. You need to provide system information for anyone to help you.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy, and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dukenukemx »

all41 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:05 am define crash, screen black, unresponsive?? say more
my guess--not due to Ryzen
Mostly just the screen goes black. Sometimes it can hang and the mouse still works.
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dukenukemx »

SMG wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:17 pm What Linux Mint are you running? There are multiple versions of Linux Mint available and each version has multiple kernels which can be used with it. You need to provide system information for anyone to help you.
It's the latest, Mint 21 with Cinnamon. I've tried multiple kernels, including the latest 6.0 kernel with the same results.
Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy, and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
I was using the laptop with Windows and it just happened as well. It just took longer on Windows. It almost seems like the laptop gets hot enough that something bad happens. Could be a worn out CPU that may have an internal fracture due to heat that gets worse the warmer it gets. Either that or one of the VRM's aren't cooled enough, even though I've tried cooling them with better thermal pads and K5 PRO Viscous Thermal Paste as a thermal pad replacement. I'm gonna keep trying to confirm this does happen in Windows by installing the GPU drivers because I haven't even gotten that far.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Dukenukemx wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:16 pmIt's the latest, Mint 21 with Cinnamon. I've tried multiple kernels, including the latest 6.0 kernel with the same results.
I do not know if that means you tried mainline 6.0 kernels or you tried the 6.0-oem kernel, but given you are also seeing the issue in Windows, that does point to a hardware related issue.

Make sure you are running the most recent BIOS/UEFI available for your system. If this is a problem with the model (and not just your specific laptop), then Lenovo may updated the BIOS/UEFI to correct the issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Dukenukemx wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:00 amMy question is that is this a known problem with AMD Ryzen 4700U's on Linux
I've been running a 4700U laptop under Mint since 2020 with no problems. Currently on Mint 21 Cinnamon with the default 5.15 kernel.
Dukenukemx
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dukenukemx »

DPM wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:20 pm
Dukenukemx wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:00 amMy question is that is this a known problem with AMD Ryzen 4700U's on Linux
I've been running a 4700U laptop under Mint since 2020 with no problems. Currently on Mint 21 Cinnamon with the default 5.15 kernel.
I'm at the point where I'm trying to get my laptop returned.

Return to “Hardware Support”