An interesting Fan & SMBus Issue

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Teloah
Level 1
Level 1

An interesting Fan & SMBus Issue

Post by Teloah »

Hey there!

So I have been off and on battling with this strange bug(s) on my Asus E502SA (Also labelled R517S :roll: because one name for it wasn't enough) Though from what I understand Asus are normally a pain in the butt when it comes to Linux with their shenanigan's (Asus that is with). For those curious, the computer is no speed demon but it's very thin and light so it makes a nice light and low-power computer for some basic tasks such as web browsing, office suit stuff and such... also I hate seeing things go to waste :lol:

During bootup, I'm given two warnings one is the expected Cache write through for the USB HDD that is attached (I always wondered why that is set to break the silent bootup with a message lol) but another one that has cropped up is this one

Code: Select all

i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: SMBus is busy, can't use it!
i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: Failed terminating the transaction
i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: Transaction timeout
This doesn't seem to affect the computer's performance, but there has been another issue: the fan.

During a cold boot the fan operates normally (It turns off when temps are low, and ramps up with temps) but if I put the computer to sleep and wake it up the fan will not kick in even if the CPU gets that hot it needs to thermal throttle.

Looking at the logs there are 4 XML zone warnings in regards to invalid sensor type (STR6,5,1 and 0)

To avoid the issue, I have disabled any sleep timers and just saved anything I'm doing and shut down instead, I considered hibernation but it would just add wear to the SSD but would love to try to get it operating correctly.

Inxi Output:

Code: Select all

CPU: quad core Intel Pentium N3700 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 724/480/2400 MHz
Kernel: 5.15.0-53-generic x86_64 Up: 5h 31m Mem: 2045.6/3827.6 MiB (53.4%)
Storage: 696.73 GiB (32.8% used) Procs: 243 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.13
Last edited by LockBot on Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Teloah
Level 1
Level 1

Re: An interesting Fan & SMBus Issue

Post by Teloah »

Sorry to poke more about this but does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the system fan to spin up after coming out of sleep?
Teloah
Level 1
Level 1

Re: An interesting Fan & SMBus Issue

Post by Teloah »

Thanks for the response, it's not so much that the system keeps going to sleep though it's more so when it wakes the fan no longer works until I reboot the system :)

I suspect it's not getting the sensor data once it wakes from sleep so it leaves the fan at 0 RPM but I'm hoping the more experienced here may have some ideas :)

Return to “Hardware Support”