Linux-friendly corded mouse, left-handed or ambi?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sampoodle
Level 2
Level 2

Linux-friendly corded mouse, left-handed or ambi?

Post by sampoodle »

I am using my corded mouse on left hand here, old wrist injury on right hand.

Shopping for a new one now, left-handed or ambidextrous model, I wonder what is good and Linux-friendly - we know Logitech mice do not allow special functions under Linux, unfortunately.

Suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Linux-friendly corded mouse, left-handed or ambi?

Post by lsemmens »

What sort of special functions are you looking for, I have a collection of rodents, and have had no issues with any of them. Not all Logitech, some Mfg specific, some M$, some Logitech.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
autodctr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autodctr »

I have never run into one that didn't work.
sampoodle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sampoodle »

Well, a big part of the Logitech price are the additional buttons providing dedicated functionality.
If that is not supported in Linux, why buy that, other than the build quality, I guess?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

sampoodle wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:40 am Well, a big part of the Logitech price are the additional buttons providing dedicated functionality.
If that is not supported in Linux, why buy that, other than the build quality, I guess?
Yeah, that often happens in Linux with hardware peripherals. The basic function is there but the 'enhancements' don't work.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:01 am Yeah, that often happens in Linux with hardware peripherals. The basic function is there but the 'enhancements' don't work.
Those fancy features are often 'locked-in-time' and even in Windows you eventually end up with basic functions. An obvious example is LightScribe** but I spot more examples just swiveling in my office chair. Logitech seems well supported for their most popular products, popular and basic being my motto when shopping. (although sometimes I regret not closing the deal on that new Fiat X1/9 back in the day)

**with some effort LightScribe is supposedly still possible

Return to “Hardware Support”