[SOLVED] New SSD with Linux laptop

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] New SSD with Linux laptop

Post by mintd »

Hi everyone

I have an Asus E410MA laptop with Linux Mint running and was wondering if it is possible add additional harddrive storage? If so, what type of storage/memory would I need to get?

Thank you! D
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: New SSD with Linux laptop

Post by kc1di »

Being it's a laptop I would think there would not be room enough to install a second drive. But you could buy a bigger SSD if you need more space.
You can also always add an external HD via usb. But that would sort of defeat the portability of the whole thing. How big is the drive that is in it now?
I find that for my general use 256 Gbs in my lappy is good enough any additional items that might take up a lot of space like photos I store on USB sticks.
There are may ways to accomplish what you want. I would say though that if the machine is still using a spinning H.D. you will gain a good bit of speed by installing a SSD drive. Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

mintd wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:37 pm Hi everyone

I have an Asus E410MA laptop with Linux Mint running and was wondering if it is possible add additional harddrive storage? If so, what type of storage/memory would I need to get?

Thank you! D
Did you look up the specs for your laptop on the ASUS web site?

E410 specs
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

Thank you Lou77!

So it looks like M.2 NVMe™ PCIe® 3.0 SSD might be compatible? I guess I need to check/know if there is a free slot for this (is this usually the case?)
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

kc1di wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:46 pm Being it's a laptop I would think there would not be room enough to install a second drive. But you could buy a bigger SSD if you need more space.
You can also always add an external HD via usb. But that would sort of defeat the portability of the whole thing. How big is the drive that is in it now?
I find that for my general use 256 Gbs in my lappy is good enough any additional items that might take up a lot of space like photos I store on USB sticks.
There are may ways to accomplish what you want. I would say though that if the machine is still using a spinning H.D. you will gain a good bit of speed by installing a SSD drive. Good luck.
Thank you kc1di

The current drive is a 64 GB eMMC (almost full now).

Do external HDs work well via USB? Would it be a lot slower than internal drive?
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

mintd wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:35 pm
Thank you kc1di

Do external HDs work well via USB? Would it be a lot slower than internal drive?
Yes, there are external drives that operate via usb port. I can not comment on their speed, as I have never used one. If it were me I'd try to replace the emmc with a 256 or 512 gbs NVME drive. Your model is listed as those for options. But not sure if the emmc was removable or is it hardwired in the machine.
you can get the manual here. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Desk ... model=E410
That manual is only the user manual and does not show the HD connections.
Crucial make SSD drives for your model. found here: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgr ... ook-e410ma
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

I agree with kc1di about replacing or adding a larger eMMC memory board or, go with an M.2 expansion. I like the Samsung 970 series but everyone has a preference to memory.

You can use an external USB memory device but understand that the memory device will not be any quicker than the USB port on your computer. Thus, if you has a USB 2 port and buy a USB 3.1, G2 memory stick, the external memory stick will work at the USB 2 port speeds. In that case, there is no need to spend extra bucks for memory speeds the laptop can not achieve.

I have a couple of SanDisk Extreme Pro external SSD USB drives. Very fast and reliable...but are a little pricey. Most any of the drives are pretty good just be aware of read/write speeds.

My advice on how to purchase a drive, or really any memory is to purchase from the manufacturer if they have a online shop. This way you will for certain not buy a after market or clone/fake device. That has been a big problem with microSDXC cards from Ebay, Alibaba, etc. Sometimes the price on the company stores are very competitive. If you buy from Amazon then try to get memory that is Sold by Amazon and Shipped by Amazon. I do know that Amazon is an authorized seller for SanDisk.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

kc1di wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:21 pm
mintd wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:35 pm
Thank you kc1di

Yes, there are external drives that operate via usb port. I can not comment on their speed, as I have never used one. If it were me I'd try to replace the emmc with a 256 or 512 gbs NVME drive. Your model is listed as those for options. But not sure if the emmc was removable or is it hardwired in the machine.
you can get the manual here. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Desk ... model=E410
That manual is only the user manual and does not show the HD connections.
Crucial make SSD drives for your model. found here: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgr ... ook-e410ma
Thank you very much kc1di.
I will take a look at the NVMe you suggested.
Have a great weekend!
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

Lou77 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:17 pm I agree with kc1di about replacing or adding a larger eMMC memory board or, go with an M.2 expansion. I like the Samsung 970 series but everyone has a preference to memory.

You can use an external USB memory device but understand that the memory device will not be any quicker than the USB port on your computer. Thus, if you has a USB 2 port and buy a USB 3.1, G2 memory stick, the external memory stick will work at the USB 2 port speeds. In that case, there is no need to spend extra bucks for memory speeds the laptop can not achieve.

I have a couple of SanDisk Extreme Pro external SSD USB drives. Very fast and reliable...but are a little pricey. Most any of the drives are pretty good just be aware of read/write speeds.

My advice on how to purchase a drive, or really any memory is to purchase from the manufacturer if they have a online shop. This way you will for certain not buy a after market or clone/fake device. That has been a big problem with microSDXC cards from Ebay, Alibaba, etc. Sometimes the price on the company stores are very competitive. If you buy from Amazon then try to get memory that is Sold by Amazon and Shipped by Amazon. I do know that Amazon is an authorized seller for SanDisk.
Thank you Lou77. The Samsung NVMe looks like a nice option!
Have a great weekend.

Return to “Hardware Support”