[solved] LM 21.1 twice as power hungry as Window10 on surface pro 7

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sandbagger
Level 3
Level 3

[solved] LM 21.1 twice as power hungry as Window10 on surface pro 7

Post by sandbagger »

Hi All
I bought a Microsoft surface 7 pro from Amazon and it came with windows 10 ( I think). I decided to try Windows as I hadn't used it since Windows 7 and I was getting about 5 hours usage out of it mostly watching julia language coding videos which are about 30 minutes each. I found out that I still don't like Windows so I installed LM 21.1 alongside Windows ( just in case). The power usage for the same youtube behavior is twice that of Windows. I'm lucky to get 2 hours of usage despite reducing screen brightness to 50% ( as low as is useful). I did NOT install the touchscreen kernel as I bought the Surface for it's weight. I HATE touchscreens :-)

Before I follow the splendid advice of https://christitus.com/laptop-power-management/ I would like to know if there is ANY application that I can load to help me diagnose this issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: LM 21.1 twice as power hungry as Window10 on surface pro 7

Post by mikeflan »

I suggest you use powertop and tlp to extend battery runtime.
They aren't enabled or installed by default as not everyone uses a laptop.
sandbagger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sandbagger »

sorry about the delay in thanking you. I have given up on the POS surface. Worst purchase EVER!!! the blasted touchpad would NOT turn off even when I said to do so when I plugged a mouse in. I'd be typing and the window would go to half screen I could go on but the thing is now a VERY effective coffee cup coaster. I might even drill a few holes in it to make me feel better.
thanks for the tip as I am using a laptop more these days. I LOVE my trusty X1 carbon gen 3.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

sandbagger wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:15 pm .. I might even drill a few holes in it to make me feel better.
thanks for the tip as I am using a laptop more these days. I LOVE my trusty X1 carbon gen 3.
It's a Microsoft product.. that's about all it's good for. Though, do be careful and try not to drill into the battery.. those things don't play nice with some elements.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404

Return to “Hardware Support”