PC randomly stopped recognizing CD/DVD Drive

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vari
Level 1
Level 1

PC randomly stopped recognizing CD/DVD Drive

Post by vari »

I tried booting up my pc (Linux Mint is the only OS it's using right now), it was taking about 2 minutes for it to get out of the boot logo, after finally going into Mint, mint threw an error and threw me to a shell.

Initially it threw code error -16 in ata2, then it said something about restart failed.
After resetting and going into the BIOS I noticed the CD/DVD Drive wasn't in the SATA devices section, after opening the pc and disconnecting it, it finally boot up.
This seems like a weird thing, I hadn't touched the drive at all, I don't even use it that much, could it be faulty?
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: PC randomly stopped recognizing CD/DVD Drive

Post by all41 »

vari wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:54 pm I tried booting up my pc (Linux Mint is the only OS it's using right now), it was taking about 2 minutes for it to get out of the boot logo, after finally going into Mint, mint threw an error and threw me to a shell.

Initially it threw code error -16 in ata2, then it said something about restart failed.
After resetting and going into the BIOS I noticed the CD/DVD Drive wasn't in the SATA devices section, after opening the pc and disconnecting it, it finally boot up.
This seems like a weird thing, I hadn't touched the drive at all, I don't even use it that much, could it be faulty?
Older drives used rubber drive belts for the loading tray.
After years these rubber belts are notorious for slippage and disallowing the drive tray to complete
the loading cycle.
Back in the day--when we used optical media we used to replace these loading belts with pony-tail
rubber bands.
With a known readable dvd/cd in the tray try this--
just as the drive door closes give it an extra push.
If that improves loading odds are your loading tray drive belt is stretched.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Hardware Support”