How to check battery capacity/life

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

How to check battery capacity/life

Post by mintd »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what is the best way (within Linux Mint Cinnamon) to check the battery capacity (life/mWh) of my laptop? From what I understand folks might use Windows Battery Report for this (in Windows) and would like to know what is the best way/software to do this in Linux?

Thank you! D
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to check battery capacity/life

Post by mikeflan »

Open Applets and look for these:
bat.png
Or maybe inxi -B is good enough for you?

Or Ibam in the repositories.
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

mikeflan wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:02 pm Open Applets and look for these:
bat.png

Thank you mikeflan!
That command worked nicely. It said:
'charge: 21.9 Wh condition: 21.9/42.1 Wh (52%)'
so does that mean my battery capacity is half depleted (i.e. not good)? Technically, what is the difference with the terms 'charge' and 'condition' when talking about laptop batteries? When I look in the bottom-right of my screen and see the battery % remaining, what is that (charge?)?
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

mintd wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:20 am
bat.png

Thank you mikeflan!
so does that mean my battery capacity is half depleted (i.e. not good)? Technically, what is the difference with the terms 'charge' and 'condition' when talking about laptop batteries? When I look in the bottom-right of my screen and see the battery % remaining, what is that (charge?)?
I think that shows much charge your battery has left before a recharge is needed.

If you're looking for the overall battery life capacity remaining (after which the battery can no longer hold a charge), try this command:

Code: Select all

upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0 | grep energy-full
If that command doesn't work you can use this command to list all the power sources available:

upower -e
Then use the "upower -i" command with a different power source.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
mintd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintd »

revmacian wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:42 am
bat.png

Thank you mikeflan!
I think that shows much charge your battery has left before a recharge is needed.

If you're looking for the overall battery life capacity remaining (after which the battery can no longer hold a charge), try this command:

If that command doesn't work you can use this command to list all the power sources available:

upower -e
Thank you revmacian

Here was the output from upower:

battery
present: yes
rechargeable: yes
state: fully-charged
warning-level: none
energy: 21.922 Wh
energy-empty: 0 Wh
energy-full: 21.922 Wh
energy-full-design: 42.067 Wh
energy-rate: 0 W
voltage: 11.85 V
percentage: 100%
capacity: 52.1121%
technology: lithium-ion
icon-name: 'battery-full-charged-symbolic'

Could you please help me understand what the above means? Does it say that the battery has already lost almost half of its capacity/life (52.1121%)?
Thank you
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

mintd wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:27 pm
revmacian wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:42 am
Thank you mikeflan!

upower -e
Thank you revmacian

Here was the output from upower:

battery
present: yes
rechargeable: yes
state: fully-charged
warning-level: none
energy: 21.922 Wh
energy-empty: 0 Wh
energy-full: 21.922 Wh
energy-full-design: 42.067 Wh
energy-rate: 0 W
voltage: 11.85 V
percentage: 100%
capacity: 52.1121%
technology: lithium-ion
icon-name: 'battery-full-charged-symbolic'

Could you please help me understand what the above means? Does it say that the battery has already lost almost half of its capacity/life (52.1121%)?
Thank you
It is my understanding that these two readings are of most importance when attempting to understand battery capacity:

energy-full:         21.922 Wh
energy-full-design:  42.067 Wh
I believe you can get this same information using this inxi command:

inxi -B | grep condition
energy-full is the current Watt hour capacity of the battery after charged to 100%
energy-full-design was the Watt hour capacity of the battery when the battery was brand new
I'm guessing that either your laptop is more than a few years old or it has a high number of charge/discharge cycles.. or both.

The day you pulled your laptop out of its original box both of these readings were 42.067 Wh, or very close. However, after a number of charge/discharge cycles, the energy-full reading will diminish - this is a peculiarity of all Lithium-based batteries. Lithium in the battery will begin to crystalize during charge/discharge cycles. The crystalized portion of the Lithium particles will no longer be able to hold a charge, which is why the battery capacity will diminish over time. Your battery charges to 100%, but that is 100% of the usable Lithium rather than 100% of the total battery.

There is no way to stop this from happening but you can slow it down by reducing the number of charge/discharge cycles, thus lengthening the time needed before a new battery is required. One way I do this is to keep the laptop plugged in when I'm at my desk. These two readings on my hp laptop (manufactured in 2018) are very close because the previous owner kept the laptop plugged in most of the time so there were fewer charge/discharge cycles.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
mintybarrels
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintybarrels »

So, you reckon it's better to have it plugged in all the time beaming at 100% (or, limited at 80-90%?),

vs.

Charging up to 80-90%, then plugging in when it hits 20-40%?

Thanks,

MB

Return to “Hardware Support”