[solved] Asus H110M-K motherboard

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kenz
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Asus H110M-K motherboard

Post by Kenz »

Installed Mint and LMDE on it many times (not dual booted) On startup, the CPU fan sometimes goes into jet engine mode. The machine passes POST, boots and I can log in. Shutdown-reboot a few times and the fan noise reverts to normal. Boot eventually fails and the drive won't mount - black screen and list of outputs. Unlikely to be a failing SSD - I've used several. RAM usage is always within normal range as is SSD temp. Using the NVidia driver or the open source one makes no difference. I think I changed BIOS settings (secure boot) when removing the W10 installation when I got the PC. Reset them to default? Anything specific to look for on the screen at boot failure? I know this is almost certainly a hardware-specific issue, so apologies if my question is not one for this forum. Has anyone experienced this problem or have any thoughts? Mint, LMDE and Debian, on a 2007 Macbook and a HP xw4600, have never caused this problem over many years of constant use.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kenz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [solved] Asus H110M-K motherboard

Post by Kenz »

Seems to have been the UEFI boot record configuration. I looked at the boot order using efibootmgr and saw an entry that was set as priority when it should have been BootCurrent. Setting the BootCurrent as priority, using efibootmgr, seems to have fixed the problem - boots as normal and no fan going nuts. So far.
q0GBQIZQ5+m9
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [solved] Asus H110M-K motherboard

Post by q0GBQIZQ5+m9 »

Thank you for posting, and updating.
I had a similar fan noise problem, without the other symptoms you described. Also with an Asus H110M-K motherboard. But a different Linux distribution. Inspired by your post, I looked at the output of the efibootmgr command. Turned out it lists upper case paths, such as \EFI\SYSTEMD\SYSTEMD-BOOTX64.EFI, while the ls command gave me lower case paths. /efi/systemd/systemd-bootx64.efi. Changing all involved paths to the case efibootmgr had them hopefully, so far, eliminated the noise. It should be added that, as far as I remember, I haven't updated the BIOS to a more recent one.

Edit: I am no longer sure the following paragraph was not related to the small case path described above. Or is it related to the enumeration order of the devices by the bios, in which case moving devices between ports can make a difference?
Since I am posting, here is another quirk for that board UEFI bios. At least when it is of older version. As can be seen at the bottom of https://kmpic.asus.com/images/2023/02/1 ... 061477.bmp, one can override its boot device. For example, with a disk on key. The thing is that some other USB devices that are attached to other USB ports of the board can interrupt the board from seeing the desired disk on key correctly. I am not sure about the exact circumstances, or USB devices, that actually create this disturbance. I do know that disconnecting them from the board, if possible, at least until an OS takes control, eliminate the disturbance.
Last edited by q0GBQIZQ5+m9 on Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware Support”