{solved}drivers installation for hardware

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

{solved}drivers installation for hardware

Post by blackhatworld »

Do I need to install drivers, or will they be installed automatically? If manual installation is required, what is the procedure?
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
autodctr
Level 4
Level 4

Re: drivers installation for hardware

Post by autodctr »

Drivers for what? It depends....generally speaking, drivers are installed automatically. I am talking about graphics cards, most cams, most w-ifi adapters. If you are talking about some odd ball thing or something that is VERY new, you may run into an issue. But generally speaking, things just work.
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blackhatworld »

suppose if a buy a graphics card Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 then how I install a driver or if I buy tp link wifi devices or something else
autodctr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by autodctr »

The nVidia 3060 will not be a problem at all.....after you turn the machine on, the OS will see the new card and install the proper driver for it.

Most TP links will work out of the box. Sometimes a driver is needed that is not in the kernel, but they are usually easy to get.
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blackhatworld »

Sometimes a driver is needed that is not in the kernel, but they are usually easy to get
Give me solution of this. How I install driver when it is not in the kernel how to get and most important how to install it ?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

blackhatworld wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:47 am How I install driver when it is not in the kernel how to get and most important how to install it ?
Impossible to answer in general. Varies per device.

Pose your question when you run into such a "problem" with a specific device. Academic discussions have no use. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blackhatworld »

Why it's impossible to answer? In windows, it's possible to answer such question, why on Linux it's too difficult to answer?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's impossible to answer without any information, because the answers can be very different depending on the exact hardware.
Don't forget that hardware manufacturers basically make their stuff for Windows, not for Linux. It's not surprising that dealing with hardware can be easier on Windows.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Yet -- the basic answer to the question "do I need to install drivers" is simply "No."

In Linux drivers are generally part of and supplied with the kernel and are often not created by the hardware vendor themselves but by "the community". For your mentioned Nvidia card there's one open such driver in the kernel by the name of "nouveau" and one closed, proprietary driver by Nvidia themnselves on Ubuntu/Mint available through Driver Manager. Since the reason for the "closed" part is Nvidia not wanting to open up some of their hardware secrets their own binary driver can perform better -- although it can be a pain with e.g. Secure Boot. For Intel and AMD graphics Intel/AMD-developed drivers are part of the kernel proper and they as such make for a better match on Linux.

The second biggest category of closed proprietary drivers is for some Wi-Fi hardware but by and large "Nvidia" is the most prominent exception to that basic answer being "No." For hardware that does require external drivers the answer varies from as above "Driver Manager" to downloading source somewhere and compiling it yourself -- but once again note it's the exception: in Linux normal drivers are part of and supplied with the kernel.
blackhatworld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blackhatworld »

Thanks got it very deep explanation

Return to “Hardware Support”