Which Dialup 56k modem to buy? :Solved

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rizla

Which Dialup 56k modem to buy? :Solved

Post by Rizla »

Hi, I've recently been having trouble getting a USB 56k modem to work, as can be seen from my previous posts. To cut a long story short though, I'm sending it back to Amazon as it's just too much hassle.

Can anyone recommend a good dialup modem that I can use on my desktop PC which has Mint-8 Helena installed? I don't have a huge budget, but it needs to be compatible with Mint-8 and hopefully not require a degree in codeing to get to work, and additionally I'd prefere something that isn't USB!!

If you've used or tested it yourself, that'd be a bonus too :)

Cheers in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Which Dialup 56k modem to buy?

Post by slider »

Hi Rizla

Why not a USB?

I would have to recommend the US Robotics 5637 V92 USB 56k modem. It uses the CDC ACM driver in Linux and works great out of the box.

Ive installed it in several KDE Mint systems for users and in two M$ systems.

The Linux installations were the easiest as no CD was needed for the install. Just a matter of helping KPPP find a bit of info.

One M$ Win7 install was quite an ordeal though! :shock: Always reminds me of how thankful I am to be a Linux user :!:

You can download the factory PDF from the U.S.R. site and read up on it.

Hope this helps. :wink:
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
Rizla

Post by Rizla »

Thanks for that Slider, I was looking at US Robotics modems this morning after my post. I guess I'm just a bit jaded with USB modems after the one I'm sending back, damn was that frustrating trying to sort. I realise that US Robotics are more worth their salt when saying that their gear works with Linux. The USB option is perticularly handy though as I've a laptop with Helena on too and it's always handy to have two machines capable of a connection when things go tits up.

Is it at all possible you could give me some more info on what you did to get the 5637 working on Mint for it's install? I don't have a clue what the CDC ACM driver is - I'm still a newbie, only a few weeks in, so if you do give me some more info, please try to assume I'm a bit stupid, thanks :) . Also, will I be able to use the gnome ppp dailer app to connect/disconnect as using the Terminal everytime would be a bit tedious.
Rizla

Post by Rizla »

I've just ordered the US Robotics 5637 USB modem from Amazon, due to Slider's recommendation and the wealth of possitive comments in other reviews. It was a bit pricey, at £40 odd + £15 postage. I might have been able to get a better deal elsewhere, but I like using Amazon.co.uk as I know where I stand with them, and have had favourable results from them in the past. Bit strange that they wouldn't ship to the Republic of Ireland though, had to send it to an address in the North. Anyhu, here's hopeing it'll work :)
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Hi Rizla

I just got finished reviewing your previous thread for modems. Poor guy! Looks like you had quite a go! :) That happens sometime.

1st- My overview of what I believed happened before is as follows: It appears that the modprobe that was tried was incorrect which was > cdc-acm when it should have been cdc_acm. Also not all modems comply with the specifications for using the module/driver cdc_acm. The manufacturers literature should usually state this most of the time.

2nd- What I use on My system is Mint 5 KDE with a broadband wifi connection, so I cant try things directly in Gnome for you. What I can do (and is what I usually do when helping users here with "Gnome specific" problems) is work along with you trying to research and adapt my KDE ways for Gnome. This I will be glad to do and is the reason that Im here. :)

Its important to remember that KPPP and Gnome-PPP are both just GUI front-ends for the real processes that are being run behind the scenes in your terminal/computer.

3rd- Here are some things that you can do now if you want until your new device arrives: Remove any drivers that you've installed from your previous thread. While not 100% necessary, it cant hurt and may prevent a potential conflict.
In terminal run:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/modules
to see if the cdc_acm module is loaded. Check in the output if you can see it listed. You can also use lsmod (l=L but lower case)

If not run:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe cdc_acm
Then run the first command again and check the list. You should see it loaded now.

Ok now some important info that you will need is: For Modem Name- USR5637. Modem Device- /dev/ttyACM0 (path is very important!) (BTW just to make sure you know, thats a zero not an O) You may try to run the wizard (if one exists on Gnome) which might enter some of the info for you, but you will likely need to adjust the path yourself as is usually the case. ***NOTE-(Some things Im listing may be somewhat different in Gnome and the version of Mint that you are using, so thats where we'll have to adapt things.)

At first all of this may sound harder than it really is, but its not! :) You already have some experience under your belt now, so press on and make it work.

When you get time please post the exact version of Gnome-ppp that you are using so that I can look it up and familiarize myself with it ok, thanx.
The USB option is perticularly handy though as I've a laptop with Helena on too and it's always handy to have two machines capable of a connection when things go tits up.
Yes this is very true and you can use it on any PC that you own or will own in the future + Ive seen it out perform installed PCI cards on several users systems that Ive worked on!
I'm still a newbie, only a few weeks in, so if you do give me some more info, please try to assume I'm a bit stupid, thanks
Never! :lol: Just because someone is a new user does not mean that they are "stupid". They are just in need of more info about what they are trying to do or accomplish. Besides, we are all new users in one endeavor or another, whatever that may be!
Also, will I be able to use the gnome ppp dailer app to connect/disconnect as using the Terminal everytime would be a bit tedious.
Yes, that's the plan. You should already see some type of a small window pop-up when you start Gnome-ppp. There should be a "connect" button of sorts. This is what you will use once the program is setup, denoting the term >GUI.
Anyhu, here's hopeing it'll work
Yes! Lets hope.

Let us all know when you get the device and your ready to proceed.

And............ Welcome to Mint! :)

Edit: Corrected several typo's.
Last edited by slider on Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
azumi

Post by azumi »

You think you had problems ... I have had a Dell laptop for 18 months now and only got the
internal modem to work with Linux (why i bought it in the first place) about 2 months ago when
someone else online worked out you had to BUY a special driver or it doesn't work at all above 14K.

Tips for anyone reading:

1. Dont buy Dell (more than just modem reasons - far more)
2. Don't buy sound card based modems - get a USB to serial converter if you must
and use an external 56K one or a plain USB modem !

Az.
Rizla

Post by Rizla »

Thanks again Slider! It's great having someone so enthusiastic to help, such a warmth in this board – why didn't I try to switch from Windows to Linux ages ago :)

Ok, with any luck the new USR USB 5637 modem should find it's way the middle of next week, so in the mean time I'll probably be asking other questions in the forum for now -I'm pretty damn curious to find some new things out %) – Nice to have a break from all the hassle that I've had with the previous modem too!

I follwed your instructions, using the command “cat /proc/modules” in the Terminal. I didn't find cdc_acm. I'd been a good lad, and uninstalled the drivers yesterday, as I too like a clean system and I'm sure as you say, the new modem probably will prefer it that way also – I've used Windows b4, so I've learnt that one on more than one occasion ;) . I used the package manager to uninstall them – hope this was the way to go.

Then I ran the other command in the Terminal “sudo modprobe cdc_acm”, and then I again ran “cat /proc/modules” once more and amazingly “cdc_acm” appeared:

cdc_acm 16544 0 - Live 0xf8234000

I also ran lsmod to be certain, which then returned:

cdc_acm 16544 0

I assume that this is the built In Linux driver you we're talking about in your previous post and is now ready to be used by my new modem when it arrives, - correct me if I'm wrong ;)

The version of Gnome PPP dialer is from a package I downloaded:

gnome-ppp_0.3.23-1_i386.deb

The path “/dev/tty/ACM0” (with a zero not an O!) has to go into the Gnome dialer panels field where it says “Device/Detect”? I did a quick search, but at this time, there is no directory named “tty” in “/dev” - (You said your Mint distro might be slightly different to mine), is this correct?

Anyhu, I'll leave the post at this stage until the new beasty arrives, thanks again Slider!.....
Rizla

Post by Rizla »

Hey Azumi, I know where you're comming from too with the laptop modem. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 (bought 2 years ago), love the machine, but the modem is a HCF, which needs drivers that have to be paid for from Linuxant, the free driver was only 14k too. Mind you I can only usually connect at between 26 and 28kbps in Vista- and that's when it's a nice day and not raining :lol: - Maybe with linux being the amazing thing that it is and the modem a USR modem, maybe, just maybe, I might even sore to 29 or even 30 kbps!! I'll be wizzing round the net, they'll be no stopping me :wink:
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Hi Rizla

Looks good so far.
I assume that this is the built In Linux driver you we're talking about in your previous post and is now ready to be used by my new modem when it arrives, - correct me if I'm wrong

Yes you are correct.
The version of Gnome PPP dialer is from a package I downloaded:

gnome-ppp_0.3.23-1_i386.deb
Ok thank you. I'll try and take a look at it ASAP.
The path “/dev/tty/ACM0” (with a zero not an O!) has to go into the Gnome dialer panels field where it says “Device/Detect”? I did a quick search, but at this time, there is no directory named “tty” in “/dev”
Thats because tty is not a directory as such, but is a character device or node so to speak. Have a look here
Also have a look at your search path > /dev/tty/ACM0. You see what is wrong? You used an extra "/". Try /dev in your file browser search then you will see them, except for the one that you need which hasnt been created yet.
Some distributions will automatically create a device node for the modem in /dev once the device is properly attached. This has been my experience with the Mint kernels that Ive seen. Unless for some reason this has been removed from the newer kernel that you are using you should be fine.

Not sure if Gnome looks the same, but in KPPP there is a drop down menu to choose the path as shown in the screenshot:
eg-device-dropdown-menu.jpg
This is what is very important to get set properly. Please do not set this at this time. Wait until the device is connected.

*Also avoid making any symbolic links or mknod commands at this time or after connecting the device, as the system should do this for you. If it doesn't then we will cross that bridge then ok.
You said your Mint distro might be slightly different to mine), is this correct?
Yes... I use the LTS (Long Term Support version) Mint 5 KDE Elyssa. All versions in between LTS versions are basically testing grounds for the next LTS. What you learn now will more than likely benefit you in the future when you may decide to install our next LTS, which will be the next release 9.

Basically what you will need to do:

1- Connect the supplied phone cord to the wall jack and to the modem.
2- Connect the modem to an open USB port. (power light should be on)
3- Run lsmod to verify that the module/driver is loaded.
4- Open your dialer program and add any needed information such as your ISP account user name, password, etc. This is stored in a file for you so you dont have to enter it every time you login. (if you set it up that way) Far as DNS, IP, Gateway, those are somewhat dependent on how your ISP operates their network. Im sure that you are probably familiar with those so let me know if you need help when the time comes for that.
5- Setting the Modem Name: USR5637 (if used in Gnome-ppp)
6- Setting the Modem Device:/dev/ttyACM0 (most important) usually from a drop down menu.
7- Check all info, save it, then try and make a connection.
Maybe with linux being the amazing thing that it is and the modem a USR modem, maybe, just maybe, I might even sore to 29 or even 30 kbps!!
When installing this device for users Ive noticed an average of between 31 to 53. Variables depending upon the telephone lines, closest switching center location, network traffic from phone calls to PC,s on the overall analog network, as well as what country a user is from mainly due to analog distribution standards that may differ.

OOOh! And almost forgot....
8- After you have tested everything and you've done a lil' web sliding, do an orderly shutdown of your system, then go and spend a lil' time with your lovely gal! :D

Let us know how it goes.....Ummm.... The computer part that is! :oops: :lol:
Mark Twain
Rizla

Post by Rizla »

Cheers Slider, I'll have a crack at this next week when the box arrives -thanks too for the extra info on things, explains a lot! I'll post my success failure after 8)

Have a good weekend!
Rizla

Post by Rizla »

Hi Slider,

I hope you're around and have a little time to help, as the modem arrived today - but so far fails to work :(

First up I did as before and did an "lsmod" in the Terminal, "cdc_acm" wasn't listed.

I then ran the command "sudo modprobe cdc_acm" in the Terminal.

Then I ran "lsmod" once more and within the list I got:

cdc_acm 16544 2

Next I went to Gnome PPP dialer and type "dev/ttyACM0" in the field for modem, (there's no option to name the modem "USR5637" as in your screenshot).

Incidentally the drop-down list by default only has these paths:
/dev/modem
/dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS1
/dev/ttyS2
/dev/ttyS3

After entering the new path "dev/ttyACM0" I tried the option next to it to "Detect",

It returned a warning "No modem was found on your system"

I'm was assuming at this stage that if it wasn't detected, it wouldn't work, and after I tried to connect, it returned "Can not open modem".

Below is the Connection log for gnome ppp Dial

--> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot open /dev/ttyACM0: Device or resource busy

I looked in the drive/filesystem to double check the path, and in /dev I found "ttyACM0".

The modem led is illuminated, so it's got power.

Just another little question, as cdc_acm wasn't loaded on boot, if we do get the modem working, will I have to use the line "sudo modprobe cdc_acm" each time before I can connect?

What should I try next?

Edit: I also did a "lsusb" and the USB modem was listed:

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0baf:030 U.S.Robotics

Edit: I've done a little research with regards to my new 5637 modem and found some users having problems with Karmic Koala - (I think the kernal is similar, I'm a noob, so could be wrong??) and I wonder whether this may be a similar problem-
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/469881

They suggest a work around of uninstalling the "modemmanager" and doing a reboot - something to do with conflicts etc.

I'm not sure whether it's a good idea, although I don't have wireless on my desktop at present, I would prefer to have it available on my laptop (Mint 8 installed) as I occasionally use wireless when out and about.

If the problem seems similar, should I uninstall modemmanager? will it mess anything else up? Or would installing Mint-7 help for the time being? - that's if this issue is the same as mine or course! :?
Rizla

Post by Rizla »

Whoohoo!!! :D

Hi again Slider, guess what? I couldn't wait... removing the modemmanager allowed the modem to be detected! I'm writting this through Linux-Mint-8 for the first time!!

So I'm guessing there's a bug in the new Kernel, or modemmanager? :(

What does this mean for me having it uninstalled? other than possible loosing wi-fi, is it important other than that?

Anyway, late now... hope to chat to you tomorrow! :)
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Rizla

Congratz! Good job. :D I believe that you are now thinking like a Linux user.

Let me try to address a few of your questions /statements.
Next I went to Gnome PPP dialer and type "dev/ttyACM0" in the field for modem, (there's no option to name the modem "USR5637" as in your screenshot).
KPPP is known to be a lot more user friendly than it's Gnome equivalent.
Just another little question, as cdc_acm wasn't loaded on boot, if we do get the modem working, will I have to use the line "sudo modprobe cdc_acm" each time before I can connect?
This is usually not necessary. Try and restart your PC now that you've got things working and see (you may have done this since your last post). If for some reason the module doesn't show loaded try adding it to /etc/modules where it should then be loaded at boot.
So I'm guessing there's a bug in the new Kernel, or modemmanager?
Yes from the link that you provided it appears so. Nothing new about that though. It could be in either one or just a conflict between the two of sorts.

I have only tested and installed this device for people up to version 7 of Mint.
What does this mean for me having it uninstalled? other than possible loosing wi-fi, is it important other than that?
Honestly, I have never heard of ModemManager before. I had to do a little reading on it. I believe it seems to be geared more towards mobile broadband (3G) devices.
Sources:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/fedora/dev ... 86_64.html

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=NzE2NQ

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkm ... 00079.html

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkm ... 00004.html

I think that you should be OK like you are. Wifi is not handled by this. Test it to see. If your wifi worked before it still should.

Im glad that you got your modem working. If you get time you might post some of your network speeds for users just as a reference for those who may be interested in this device in the future.

Also when you feel that this thread has been solved please edit your original post and add Solved to the subject field. This will help other users.

If you need any further help let us know.

Again, welcome to Mint! :)
Mark Twain
Rizla

Post by Rizla »

Hi Slider,

Glad to know that the modemmanager is just for 3G dongles, I've tried them in the past and I can't get the reception around here - then again if I was using one, then I doubt I'd be on dialup! So that's no hassle.

I'm hoping that this particular bug gets sorted sometime soon and that us dialup peeps don't get forgotton about, as is the way these days with high-speed DSL/broadband and 3D USB dongles.

Thanks for the heads-up on how to mark a post solved, I was wondering how it was done.

For other users interested, I'm getting a reasonable connection, similar to Vista. I'm not sure how to determine what the connection in kbps is though (still a noob for now), but after doing a few tests as per my post on "How to Speed up dialup in Firefox", it seems grand! - If you're intested in the link...

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ox#p225939

I'd recommend this modem to anyone who needs a qucik to set up modem, albeit with removing the modemmanager or by using Mint-7 until the bug is fixed for USB modem devices conflicting.

Cheers Slider for all you help, you've been a marvel! :D
Rizla

Re: Which Dialup 56k modem to buy? :Solved

Post by Rizla »

I'd just like to add this for new users that are trying to get a modem to work, whether it USB or another type:

Once your modem is detected in the terminal enter:

sudo adduser USERNAME dip

Then...

sudo adduser USERNAME dialout

Substitute "USERNAME" for your name!

Then reboot, or logout, then in.

From my noob experience so far, if you don't do this, your modem might well be detected and try to dialout, but when it actually gets to the point to connect fully, it'll sit there waiting for something to do with PPPD (root permission etc).

Good luck! :)
Rizla

Re: Which Dialup 56k modem to buy? :Solved

Post by Rizla »

I just wanted to add that I've now been with the USR modem for a few weeks now and it's running great! :)

Return to “Hardware Support”