Intel Wifi Link 5100 is not working [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
greatbigdragon

Intel Wifi Link 5100 is not working [SOLVED]

Post by greatbigdragon »

Here's the deal:
I have a Toshiba Satellite M305-S4910 notebook on which I have installed Linux Mint 8 Main. The wireless adapter is an Intel Wifi Link 5100 agn and I've tried everything I could find to get it to work. Network manager does not show that the card is available. I tried everything from the MintWifi wiki, and I tried downloading and replacing the microcode (I kept the originals just in case.) I Googled, and I searched these forums . . . nothing has worked. I tried the LiveCD and the wifi doesn't work with that, either - just a bunch of lines running down the screen during boot, saying "MAC is in deep sleep!"

If it counts as useful information, I tried using the Windows driver with ndiswrapper as well with no luck. It shows that the hardware is not present, and iwconfig won't show it. But I have noted that the driver provided by Toshiba is a Realtec driver. Also it may be useful to know that I have Windows 7 64-bit dual booting with Linux Mint x86 but I did try the x86 driver (the x64 was a definite no-go as it said, "invalid driver.")

Following are the requisite terminal outputs:

Output of mintWifi.py:
-------------------------
* I. scanning WIFI PCI devices...
-- Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
==> PCI ID = 8086:4232
* II. querying ndiswrapper...
* III. querying iwconfig...
lo no wireless extensions.

* IV. querying ifconfig...
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:130 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:130 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:14683 (14.6 KB) TX bytes:14683 (14.6 KB)

* V. querying DHCP...
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.2
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

No broadcast interfaces found - exiting.
* VI. querying nslookup google.com...
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
Output of lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040T PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
0a:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): O2 Micro, Inc. Firewire (IEEE 1394) (rev 02)
0a:01.2 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MMC/SD Controller (rev 02)
0a:01.3 Mass storage controller: O2 Micro, Inc. Integrated MS/xD Controller (rev 01)
Pertinent output of lspci -nnvv:
Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100 [8086:4232]
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:1201]
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
Region 0: Memory at b6100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: iwlagn
Kernel modules: iwlagn

I'm sorry if I've left anything out or posted something wrong, but I've been at this for three days now, and with the kind of work I put in, that totally counts as paying my dues. Is there any hope?

***EDIT: In case it helps, I have found that a Fedora 12 LiveCD finds and uses my wireless adapter correctly. But I am not giving up on Mint if I don't have to.

Pertinent output of lspci -nnvv in Fedora 12:
08:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100 [8086:4232]
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:1201]
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 30
Region 0: Memory at b8100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: iwlagn
Kernel modules: iwlagn

Pertinent output of lspci in Fedora 12:
08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
Last edited by greatbigdragon on Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Intel Wifi Link 5100 is not working (new)

Post by remoulder »

Sorry you're having problems. First off I don't know the answer to your particular one, but have a few suggestions you could try if you haven't already.

Fist have you tried the "adding the pci=use_crs option to GRUB" in the post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1336022?

You said you tried ndiswrapper, but did you remove the drivers and module afterwards?

You're output says the iwlagn driver is in use. Have you tried using compat-wireless and doing a kernel upgrade? In the thread I mentioned someone says it works in kernel 2.6.31.17. For compat-wireless do

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic-generic
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
greatbigdragon

Post by greatbigdragon »

I did go into the interfaces file per the MintWifi wiki page and there were just the two lines for lo so I'm assuming that the drivers aren't sticking when I remove them. I will try these options you gave me (I'll edit grub.cfg first, because it's a pain to hook up via Ethernet) and let you know how it works.

EDIT: The add "pci=use_crs" thing didn't work. The grub.cfg is a bit hard to navigate, though - is there a specific spot in which I should put it? I tried both in the custom section at the end of the file, and in the entry for linux mint on the boot screen. Neither worked, so I put the file back as it originally was.

2ND EDIT: YOU ARE AWESOME!!! I hadn't read far enough into the thread. When I went back over it, I decided to give it one more go and I'm now posting this from Linux Mint 8 on my laptop, thank you so much!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Glad you got it to work at last.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
roidanielsen

Post by roidanielsen »

Okay, i have the same problem, but i am new to linux, so i didnt understand anything of what he did to fix it.
Can anyone write a small step-by-step guide and send it to me?
I use Linux Mint 8 Helena, and it's on the same computer model as he has, and the same hardware, the Intel WiFi 5100.

I didnt find any solutions but this thread here, but i dont understand it.

Any help is appreciated, and a step-by-step guide would REALLY be helpful, because i'm new to linux.

My email is; danielsen.roi@gmail.com
greatbigdragon

Post by greatbigdragon »

This is a very easy fix, so I'll walk you through it step by step.

1. Open a terminal, and type the following command:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

2. Type your password at the prompt.
3. Gedit should open, containing the grub file. Now edit the ninth line like so (what you are adding is pci=use_crs):
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pci=use_crs"
3. Save the file and close Gedit. Go back to the terminal and type the following command:
sudo update-grub
4. Enter your password again, if necessary. Then it will rebuild your boot menu for you. After it's done, type "exit" and hit enter to end the terminal session.

5. Restart the computer. The wireless should work now. If not, double-check the switch on the front of the computer and left-click the network icon in the system tray to see if there's a list of wireless networks. If so, you should be able to just click and connect.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
alfietta

Re: Intel Wifi Link 5100 is not working [SOLVED]

Post by alfietta »

I open the grub file and it's completely empty - now what do I do?? It doesn't seem very possible to edit the 9th line :(
I'm running ubuntu 10.04 and I have Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN, which shows as disabled after the ubuntu upgrade.

Return to “Hardware Support”