Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mnhuio
Level 1
Level 1

problem installing driver for Konica Minolta Bizhub 222

Post by mnhuio » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:46 am

Hi all,

first of all let me say that I am a Linux newbee. I recently heard of Linux Mint and installed it - wow! I never thought Linux could be so easy (and the desktop wallpaper is just great).

Then I tried to install my printer: A Konica Minolta Bizhub 222. I downloaded the driver from their support page:
http://download6.konicaminolta.eu/konmi ... ment=89265
http://download6.konicaminolta.eu/konmi ... nixPPD.zip

But every time I try to add that printer I get an error message. Something like:
Can not read PPD-file.
- invalid OpenUI/JCLOpenUI in line 175
REF: page 42-45; chapter 5.2

What am I doing wrong?

MaddogF16
Level 5
Level 5

Re: problem installing driver for Konica Minolta Bizhub 222

Post by MaddogF16 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:30 am

Can I have the link to the page that had the download links in your post? I can't find info on the 222 model anywhere.

mnhuio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mnhuio » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:15 am

Sorry for the late reply:

Here you are
http://www.konicaminolta.de/business-so ... loads.html
click on <<Software und Treiber "bizhub 222">>

http://download2.konicaminoltaeurope.co ... &rid=&sub=

have a look for:

Printer Driver PostScript Englisch Print Utility for Unix 1.8 2010-01-21
Attachments
362UnixPPD.zip
(20.95 KiB) Downloaded 602 times

opty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by opty » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:28 am

dear all,

worked out the issue and attached a modified (i cut out some portions of it that are not necessary anyway.) ppd file. use socket:// instead of lpd:// and all should be fine. there... another half an hour of my life down the toilet.

opty
Attachments
KO362Umod.ppd.tar.gz
(10.74 KiB) Downloaded 1425 times

cool_penguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cool_penguin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Dear Opty,

Thanks for providing us with the corrected driver. This seems to work well and I was successful in installing the ppd file. However there is still one small problem I am facing. The printer (bizhub 222) that is installed in my school needs authentication. I do not see any option to include this authentication in the printer options and thus cannot print :( . My guess is that it has to be included in the ppd file. I tried opening your ppd file with gedit, but have absolutely no clue on where to insert the username and password. The username and password are both numbers (no alphabets). Could you please advice? Your help will save me a lot of efforts.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
Harry

uven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uven » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:17 pm

cool_penguin wrote:Dear Opty,

Thanks for providing us with the corrected driver. This seems to work well and I was successful in installing the ppd file. However there is still one small problem I am facing. The printer (bizhub 222) that is installed in my school needs authentication. I do not see any option to include this authentication in the printer options and thus cannot print :( . My guess is that it has to be included in the ppd file. I tried opening your ppd file with gedit, but have absolutely no clue on where to insert the username and password. The username and password are both numbers (no alphabets). Could you please advice? Your help will save me a lot of efforts.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
Harry
Hi

I don't know if you ever got this solved, but I ran into this problem myself and I've been at it all day. I have a C220 printer but I suspect the problem is the same. Here's what I did. Please note that this is only for Account Tracking,

The Windows drivers sends a bunch of PJL commands to the printer which the PPD file doesn't. This is where the account tracking information must be. Any attempt to use the PPD files from Konica Minolta was futile as they do not conform to the PPD standard (there are several JCLOpenUI statements having different keywords than PickOne, PickMany or Boolean (InputText is not valid, despite what KM thinks)). I ended up writing a filter for CUPS which I configured the printer to use.

First I changed the before configured filters from

Code: Select all

Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-command 0 commandtops
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 -
to

Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 minolta
Filter application/vnd.cups-command 0 commandtops
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 minolta
My printer is configured in /etc/cups/ppd/MYPRINTER.ppd and I ended up creating a file called /etc/cups/ppd/MYPRINTER.km alongside the first one with the following content

ACCOUNT_NAME="something"
ACCOUNT_PASSWORD="encrypted password"
ACCOUNT_COETYPE="2"
The ACCOUNT_COETYPE can be set to 0 which allows you to set ACCOUNT_PASSWORD to your PIN code/password instead of the encrypted one (which is a bit harder to figure out).

Then, the filter itself. It's a simple bash script which looks like this which I saved as /usr/lib/cups/filter/minolta

#!/bin/bash

source /etc/cups/ppd/${PRINTER}.km

echo -en "\033%-12345X"
echo -en "@PJL JOB\015\012"
echo -en "@PJL SET KMSECTIONNAME = \"${ACCOUNT_NAME}\"\015\012"
echo -en "@PJL SET KMSECTIONKEY2 = \"${ACCOUNT_PASSWORD}\"\015\012"
echo -en "@PJL SET KMCOETYPE = ${ACCOUNT_COETYPE}\015\012"
echo -en "@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = POSTSCRIPT\015\012"

cat -

echo -en "\004\033%-12345X\015\012@PJL EOJ\015\012"
echo -en "\033%-12345X"
That was it for me! Restarted CUPS and it works so far. Might need a bit more tweaking when it comes to the filter variables for the printer. If it doesn't work, then the KMSECTIONNAME and KEY2 has to be changed to whatever is used by authentication instead of account tracking, I could figure it out if you need it. So, if you try his PPD and this filter, perhaps it could work for you too.

Best regards

optiwiper
Level 1
Level 1

Post by optiwiper » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:00 am

Hello uven,

Sorry for my bad English. I hope you can understand well.

I'm trying to set up a Konica Minolta Bizhub 601 with account authentication. So far without success, as you could help me.

When trying to print a document the user Bizhub receive "PRINT". This user does not exist and no print the document. They failed to configure CUPS for the uaurios gums correct.

Thank you very much.

uven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uven » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:30 am

Hi,

Ah, this script is for Account Tracking only. I guess a similar approach can be used for Authentication, but with other directives. Unfortunately, I don't have any printer here that are configured for authentication so I can't test it for you. I'm getting a new printer in a few weeks and might be able to see what I can do then.

If you have a Windows client configured and working, try to print a (small) document to a file. Open up that file using any HEX editor and look for the directives injected (notepad might). They are usually quite many. See if you can find which one is used for authentication and modify the script above. Then it might work for you. For Account Tracking, I had to specify KMSECTIONNAME, KMSECTIONKEY2 and KMCOETYPE. My guess is that there are others available for you that you need to insert. KMCOETYPE = 2 means that the KMSECTIONKEY2 is encrypted, and KMCOETYPE = 0 means it's unencrypted (i.e. KMSECTIONKEY2 is set to the PIN code used when KMCOETYPE = 0).

I hope this helps you somewhat, and that I understood your question :)

Best regards

MisterApathy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MisterApathy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:30 am

Hi guys, I read this last week and decided I would try to work on a more comprehensive solution...

So far I have created a PPD which should work for basically any Konica Minolta MFP (I removed a lot of constraints so if you select options you don't have it wont work, but should for the most part)

And I am in the process of creating filters for each authentication type, which then pull credentials from a file called .km_auth.(username)

The problem I have, and I wonder if anyone has any advice on, is how can I get CUPS to run the filter as the user printing the job, or alternatively pull that information into the filter somehow.

I believe CUPS filters always run as a non-privileged user, or root etc.... so how could we realize multi-user scenarios?

Basically I want to make one solution (with a few config scripts) which would allow any size of business or home office to use authentication/account track etc correctly

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:29 am

This topic is over 2 years old :shock: @MisterApathy, thanks for trying to get this solved but please start a new topic. See the forum rules about not replying to support requests older than 6 months.

Return to “Hardware Support”