Helena 5.1 audio issue

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Helix the II

Helena 5.1 audio issue

Post by Helix the II »

If you view my previous thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=42734 you'll see I got 5.1 to work on Gloria with Husse's assistance. However I changed up to Helena and I cannot for the life of me get surround to work properly.

If I use the sound profile under the volume control and change my settings to Analog Surround 5.1 Output and try adjusting any of the volumes (such as Balance, Fading, or Subwoofer) I get really distorted audio artifacts (garbled sound) during play back. I also tried using speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 -l1 -twav to test my settings and I get

Code: Select all

Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
I made the changes I listed in my previous thread

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel  # possibly not needed
options snd-hda-intel model=6stack
and
Opening alsa-mixer in a terminal
scrolled right to Channel
Changed 2 to 6
The only thing I didn't do was upgrade the Alsa drivers. I'm unsured if I should do that or not.

Thoughts?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Helena 5.1 audio issue

Post by remoulder »

Helix the II wrote:The only thing I didn't do was upgrade the Alsa drivers. I'm unsured if I should do that or not
Don't do this manually, use the backports to get the latest alsa built by the ubuntu devs.

apt install linux-backports-modules-karmic linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic
and update your kernel by making Level 5 Visible in mintupdate preferences. I'm not saying this will solve your problem, sound has been troublesome in karmic.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Helix the II

Re: Helena 5.1 audio issue

Post by Helix the II »

remoulder, you're all over my threads, thank you. I appreciate it!

I'm doing what you suggested at this moment. If I open the Gnome Alsa mixer things perform a little better... but the system is treating center & left rear as the same channel and is treating LFE and right rear as the same channel.... talk about odd.

Return to “Hardware Support”