Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
harryvdh
Level 1
Level 1

Black screen in Mint 8, using Nvidia GeForce 7600

Postby harryvdh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:36 pm

The same thing happened to me in Ubuntu 9.10 - by the way.
I have a new installation on a new hard drive and everything worked ok (Mint 8 - all upgrades ok, Nvidia GeForce 7600)
After I tried to install the Nvidia driver I can not boot very far. I get past the initial text 'grub....' and up to the green 'm' - then nothing; i.e I do not get up to the user/ login screen. The screen goes black and all I can do is power the whole PC off. I am a beginner and can only operate the terminal commands if given a recipe; i.e cut and paste.
Currently I operate via the live CD - but can not get to my programs and data easily, especially my mail, etc.

How can I somehow get rid of this Nvidia driver (and rather carry on working in a plain display mode) but get back to starting up all the way into my nicely working system? Unless, of course, there is a solution and I could use the Nvidia driver.

Thanks - Harry

Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Black screen in Mint 8, using Nvidia GeForce 7600

Postby Jay514 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:55 pm

Welcome to Linux Mint
Need More Info
I have this exact video card on my desktop, I have Linux Mint KDE_CE X64 . I do not have this issue.So before I go to far into posting answers for this.
May I first ask you what were the steps taken to cause this issue, Ex = Did you install a driver, enable & or change the settings in compuiz .
Have you tried the compatibility Mode @ the boot menu ?
Do the default settings work?
Many Questions. Please post & someone will get back to you, Have a Nice Day :roll:
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu

harryvdh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby harryvdh » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:26 pm

Re Jay514 questions:
I wanted to download the Nvidia 195 driver, but cancelled this before it was completed.
In parallel I then wanted to enable the desktop setting from none to the most simple, enhanced mode (used the right-click on the desktop to bring up the change desktop settings.) Mint did not ask me which driver to download - it just did its 'thing'.
Re your other questions:
Compatability mode @boot? Where do I get this - during the live CD load?
Default settings? How do I get to these - I do not get past the green 'LM' screen?

adrk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby adrk » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:43 am

the same here with two PCs different hardware
I solved it by using escape button on first count down screen,then choose "compatibility mode" and it worked for me on one of the two PCs :D

any other suggestions for the other PC?

Return to “Hardware Support”