Kindle and Nook [Solved]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fwc

Kindle and Nook [Solved]

Post by fwc »

Does anyone know whether any drivers are available for the Nook or Kindle on Mint? I have been doing a little searching but haven't come up with many promising results. Thanks very much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Kindle and Nook

Post by remoulder »

Seems unlikely if they use DRM?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
fwc

Post by fwc »

Argh.. The Nook is based on Android; it should be easier to backwards engineer some drivers. At least enough to connect the device through to VMWare or VirtualBox. Does anyone know if one could install the software and have it operate under Wine?
NCCarlos

Post by NCCarlos »

Have you tried using Calibre?

Edit: My Sony Reader is detected just fine as a storage device in Mint and debian. This page may help: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/fa ... d-in-linux
fwc

Post by fwc »

NCCarlos wrote:Have you tried using Calibre?

Edit: My Sony Reader is detected just fine as a storage device in Mint and debian. This page may help: http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/fa ... d-in-linux
Awesome, this is just what I was looking for.
NCCarlos

Re: Kindle and Nook [Solved]

Post by NCCarlos »

Glad to hear it.

I should warn you, though. My Sony Reader 505 runs Linux, but it is much more unstable when I've used Calibre. Your mileage may vary. Overall, I prefer to not use it and simply copy contents to the reader myself.

Check out mobileread.com, which has a forum on ebook readers. They love Calibre and have a forum section devoted to it where Calibre's developer often helps with user problems.
fwc

Re: Kindle and Nook [Solved]

Post by fwc »

NCCarlos wrote:Glad to hear it.

I should warn you, though. My Sony Reader 505 runs Linux, but it is much more unstable when I've used Calibre. Your mileage may vary. Overall, I prefer to not use it and simply copy contents to the reader myself.

Check out mobileread.com, which has a forum on ebook readers. They love Calibre and have a forum section devoted to it where Calibre's developer often helps with user problems.
Ok cool. I think I can run the software in Wine as well, if Calibre isn't satisfactory.

Return to “Hardware Support”