[SOLVED] Help My Laptops Falling Apart! [Updated, More woes]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Help My Laptops Falling Apart! [Updated, More woes]

Post by Carl »

Okay I've posted this in the dell community forums as well but basically my laptop is choosing when and if it wants to charge :shock: :? and sometimes it will be plugged in a running off the mains (like now) and not charge at all, so far it's stayed at 20% for 7 hours :x

Here's my post that I put on the Dell forums:
I'm having some problems with my dell Inspiron 1525 :? it is unfortunately out of it's one year warranty and has previously been in for a full motherboard replacement however that's a different story...

Basically it isn't charging all the time, I can have it plugged in for most of the day but the battery will stay at only 20% full and then sometimes it will charge to 100% and work fine =/ the adapter is very loose where it plugs into the side of the laptop and has been like this since the motherboard replacement =[

also on another note the hard drive has also died xD so I'm typing this from a Linux Mint LiveCD lmao really not my week :wink:
Does anyone have any ideas about the battery problems? hopefully with a cost effective and cheap solution :D

Link to Dell thread --> http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... x#19695476
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Help My Laptops Falling Apart!

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You can pick up a new Dell battery on Ebay for probably around $25-30US if you shop around. Chargers, if needed are even cheaper.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Aging Technogeek wrote:You can pick up a new Dell battery on Ebay for probably around $25-30US if you shop around. Chargers, if needed are even cheaper.
Yer but I'm not convinced that's the problem :? otherwise why would it charge some of the time? the battery doesn't discharge any quicker then usual when it does charge and the laptop will work only off the mains if needed :cry:

I have a feeling it's something to do with the charger part in the laptop :?:
E.M.G.

Post by E.M.G. »

You say its only been loose since the MB was changed, was it the correct MB ? It might have a different size connector for your charger ? I would talk to Dell, forcefully, that the MB may not be correct since the charger fits very loosely since it was replaced ... If Dell won't help, you might find a universal charger ... just make sure its ouput specs are the same as your charger output ...
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Read my entire first post the last sentence is
Chargers, if needed are even cheaper
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Well as I'm not sure whats wrong I'm going to work my way up from the cheapest solution :lol: which is a new DC port which fits onto the power board...
will let you know how I get on :wink:

after that I'll try a new charger other options include finding someone with an inspiron 1525 to try out my laptop battery :roll:
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I had the same problem on my HP laptop. I have a nice LED light right on the computer side female jack that comes on when receiving the charge. I noticed it getting sporadic and it would go on and off as I jiggled the cord and the male plug on the charger fitting loose. I bought a replacement charger on ebay for a few bucks and everything is tight and as good as new! I believe the problem is the male end of the plug on the charger.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

It's fiddling time...
--you may also want to blow out any dust/dirt from the inside of the notebook, being small (less space for parts and components) they are more damaged by dust issues than a desktop will be. overheating can always be an issue..

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=141277
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

DrHu wrote:It's fiddling time...
--you may also want to blow out any dust/dirt from the inside of the notebook, being small (less space for parts and components) they are more damaged by dust issues than a desktop will be. overheating can always be an issue..

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=141277
Thanks DrHu (like the name :D ) that link is very useful and gives me a lot to look into, I have to admit this is nobodies fault but my own as the laptop has fallen of the arm off the sofa a number of times :roll:
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Help My Laptops Falling Apart! [Updated, More woes]

Post by Carl »

I got my dad to remove the old DC jack and solder on a new one I got off eBay it fixes the loose power cable but the laptop still has charging issues. however this is not the only problem as my new Hitachi hard drive is now refusing to boot... I cannot to describe in words how f****d off I am at the moment :evil: :cry:

just emailed the eBay seller I bought it off to get a replacement :|

if you don't here from me for a while it's because I've chucked my laptop off a cliff into the sea
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Help My Laptops Falling Apart! [Updated, More woes]

Post by Carl »

Just finished installing Windows 7 (Boo, Hiss :lol: ) on my 3rd hard drive :roll: bought this one from scan.co.uk so hopefully it won't be defective like the one from eBay. replaced the power block with a new one I bought and it charges fine so it must of been the problem :D

Return to “Hardware Support”