Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vasco
Level 1
Level 1

How to make Microsoft LifeCam work in Mint

Post by vasco »

I have a microsoft lifecam (webcam).. Is there any way I can make this work in Linux mint?
Thanks
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to make Microsoft LifeCam work in Mint

Post by fwc »

This link has a large list of devices and drivers. At the bottom at the page it tells you how to install the drivers if you don't already have them. If you want more help, please post a specific model number to look up.
http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/
tau12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tau12 »

please help me with this camera:
http://dougsland.livejournal.com/77235.html
tried this solution supplied on that page, but standard installation of Mint Helena didn't recognized "yum".... :?
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

As suggested, more info is required to assist with the original post.

However, I can report that I just received my ordered Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000, and it *appears* to work OK (image shows up in Cheese and Skype, and audio plays back in Skype test call). I was not able to determine ahead of time what the USB ID was, though there were strong hints that it was a 'UVC' type camera that would work fine -- without drivers -- on Linux. The USB for this cam turns out to be "045e:076d". This testing was done under Mint Linux 8.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

tau12 wrote:please help me with this camera:
http://dougsland.livejournal.com/77235.html
tried this solution supplied on that page, but standard installation of Mint Helena didn't recognized "yum".... :?
The tutorial was designed for Fedora, and Fedora uses a different packaging system ("yum"). Debian based Linux OS'es (like Ubuntu and Mint) uses dpkg and APT as its front-end, so you have to replace "yum install" with "apt-get install", with "sudo" prefixed in front to get root privileges (required, unless you plan to install the software into your Home directory and launch/use it from there, but that's another topic...).
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
tau12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tau12 »

could you please provide a proper command lines, I have to use, to get that camera working. this introduction didn't help at all..
libv4l-0 was already loaded, but rest didn't gave me anything to go on with.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

tau12 wrote:could you please provide a proper command lines, I have to use, to get that camera working. this introduction didn't help at all..
libv4l-0 was already loaded, but rest didn't gave me anything to go on with.
Have you already tried the 'cheese' app (which is included with Mint, AFAIK)? Are you saying that the link you mentioned is definitely the webcam that you are trying to use? What is the issue -- that Skype doesn't work with it? Have you already installed Skype (if that is what you intend)? I am no expert, but it would be helpful if you provided a lot more context.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.

Return to “Hardware Support”