Mapping XF86Backward/XF86Forward to PageUp/PageDown [Solved]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jakevdp

Mapping XF86Backward/XF86Forward to PageUp/PageDown [Solved]

Post by jakevdp »

I'm using Microsoft's Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000 on Mint 8. I got it all working just fine. The problem is, according to xev, the Forward/Backward buttons map to XF86Forward/XF86Backward, which don't have any function in Acrobat Reader or OpenOffice. I'd like to re-map these inputs to PageUp/PageDown, or to LeftArrow/RightArrow. Any suggestions for how to do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jakevdp

Re: Mapping XF86Backward/XF86Forward to PageUp/PageDown

Post by jakevdp »

I found a good fix. Rather than messing with the hardware itself, I used xmodmap to reinterpret the keycodes from the mouse to the desired keysym. There's a great tutorial at http://dev-loki.blogspot.com/2006/04/ma ... odmap.html
I simply created a file in my home directory called .Xmodmap which contains two lines:

Code: Select all

keycode 166 = Prior
keycode 167 = Next
The side effect is that now any device that sends keycode 166/167 will be mapped to Next/Prior, rather than XF86Forward/XF86Backward. It's not a problem for me, because I use no other input devices with this input.

Return to “Hardware Support”