Radeon 7500, possible to improve fullscreen performance?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jojobobo
Level 1
Level 1

Radeon 7500, possible to improve fullscreen performance?

Post by jojobobo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:26 pm

Hello all.

I'm a Linux newbie. I've tried a lot of different distros in the past, and I'm very impressed with Linux Mint so far.

However, there's an issue I'm having that's troublesome for me.

I'm running Linux Mint 9 (Gnome) on a Dell Latitude C640 with a 2.4 Ghz Pentium M, 1 GB Ram, and an ATI Radeon 7500 video card.

My video card seems to be working fine for normal, general use (dragging windows across the desktop doesn't cause a lot of shearing/stuttering, little graphical flairs don't make my computer grind to a halt, etc).

However, when I'm watching a video fullscreen (whether it's a youtube video, DVD in my drive or other, doesn't seem to matter the kind or source of the content), the video playback is laggy/choppy.

As I sometimes like to use my laptop as a portable DVD player, laggy playback for fullscreen video is no fun.

This doesn't seem to be a limitation of the hardware as fullscreen video works dandy under Windows XP.

I assume that this is a matter of the open source radeon drivers just not being able to utilize the hardware as well as the proprietary ATI drivers.

Here is the relevant output from lspci -vvnn so that everyone knows what I'm working with:

"01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500] [1002:4c57]
Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:012a]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop+ ParErr- Stepping+ SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz+ UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 32 (2000ns min), Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
Region 1: I/O ports at c000
Region 2: Memory at fcff0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
[virtual] Expansion ROM at fc000000 [disabled]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeonfb, radeon"

As per some other posts I've read on the board, it is no longer possible to install the ATI Radeon 7500 proprietary driver under Linux Mint.

And at any rate, when I go to Administration --> Hardware Drivers and it checks to see if there are any proprietary drivers available for my system, nothing is found.

So barring the possibility of installing the proprietary drivers for my card, is there anyway under Linux Mint to tweak the open source drivers (or anything else) to improve the performance of fullscreen video?

This doesn't even have to be a permanent, always-in-place fix. For example, if there was some way to temporarily shut off x and y and z in a way that would free up resources for my video card and thus make it better at fullscreen video playback temporarily, and I could just reenable the disabled stuff when I was done...I mean, it wouldn't be an ideal solution, but it would be something.

I know I can just dual boot with XP and watch videos that way.

But my goal is to get Windows completely off my laptop and only use Linux Mint on it, while using my desktop computer with Windows for gaming.

So if anyone has any useful advice/tips/etc that could help with with this, I'm all eyes.

Thanks for your help in advance, and please let me know if there's more information I could include that would be helpful.

AQucsaiJr
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Radeon 7500, possible to improve fullscreen performance?

Post by AQucsaiJr » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:33 pm

I am having this same problem on my desktop connected to my TV. My desktop is running similar specs (its old and is not worth upgrading it).

Any advice on fixing this issue would be great!

Fafler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fafler » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:54 am

I have two radeon based laptops and i think i have tried everything by now, and it really doesn't seem to be possible to do anything about it. Right i'm considering to downgrade both of them to Ubuntu 9.04 to get the old ATI driver.

coraje
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coraje » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:21 pm

I have the same card. I was looking for Drivers also. I know if the drivers work I can watch youtube properly and everything (did it on a older different basic card an utube worked just fine).I use Linut mint 10, I guess I'm only adding this to to thread in hopes someone can look at the problem we both face. :mrgreen:

Return to “Hardware Support”