Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TheMonster0
Level 1
Level 1

Overclocked cpu and Linux Mint KDE

Post by TheMonster0 »

I have a single-core cpu that was rated a 2.4 GHz, but I have overclocked it to 2.7 GHz. Windows 7 shows it at the new speed, but whenever I go into Linux Mint 9 KDE, it still says the cpu is only 2.4. How do I get Linux Mint to run at the new speed. I am still experimenting with the overclocking to see what the max will be.

Update: I have the cpu overclocked to 2.8 g.

TheMonster0
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Overclocked cpu and Linux Mint KDE

Post by TheMonster0 »

Anybody???????

beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

in Mint, the CPU tends to be throttled unless it is required (saves power). Try adding the "CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor" to the gnome panel (bar at bottom of screen). Just right-click in empty space and select add to panel. Click on that and it will display the modes that it can support. If you always want the fastest, select "performance" from the list
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.

TheMonster0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMonster0 »

I do not have the computer running in ondemand. The computer is supposed to running in performance all the time, but for it performance is sill 2.4 Ghz, not the overclocked 2.8. Does Linux Mint set an upper and lower limit that the cpu can run at, and if so can I readjust it. Please note, I am running KDE and not GNOME.

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

TheMonster0 wrote:I do not have the computer running in ondemand. The computer is supposed to running in performance all the time, but for it performance is sill 2.4 Ghz, not the overclocked 2.8. Does Linux Mint set an upper and lower limit that the cpu can run at, and if so can I readjust it. Please note, I am running KDE and not GNOME.
Install KPowersave and set it for "performance" as previously suggested, then you will know what it is doing rather than your "supposed to be running in performance all the time"

The only way you can compare your other operating system to Linux is to do a job in Windows and then using the same files repeat the job in Linux, that way you will be able to see how they compare, and not blindly relying on information that may be reporting incorrectly.

Linux does not set an upper or lower limit, it could not care less what your CPU speed is.

You could well run into all sorts of problems when overclocking a CPU, so I hope that you fully understand the risks that you are exposing yourself to.

Best regards Keith

TheMonster0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMonster0 »

Thanks for the advice. I do know the dangers and have, through trial-and-error, have found out what the highest I can go without causing stability problems. And I have been using the cpu overclocked for sometime now. Plus in order to keep it running cool, I have removed the panel side. I also regularly clean out the inside. I have only overclocked to what is considered safe to do so.

tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

TheMonster0 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I do know the dangers and have, through trial-and-error, have found out what the highest I can go without causing stability problems. And I have been using the cpu overclocked for sometime now. Plus in order to keep it running cool, I have removed the panel side. I also regularly clean out the inside. I have only overclocked to what is considered safe to do so.
if you have had to remove the side panel from your computer to keep things cool, then your computer case has poor air flow, certainly less than is required to run your overclocked CPU. Maybe a better case would help you?.

Best regards Keith

TheMonster0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMonster0 »

It was just a precaution. Less obstruction mean better airflow. Simple. In fact, I find my computer does not run hot, even with the side panel on. Taking off the side panel is just help the airflow. Besides I am on limited budget and I have to make due with what I have. But what I have works very well thank you.

ezas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ezas »

If you set your overclock using software in Windows than that is your problem. Do your OC in the BIOS and then Linux will see your OC speed.
unweaving the rainbow

TheMonster0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheMonster0 »

I did do the overclocking in the bios.

Return to “Hardware Support”