If your scanner doesn't work

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
allypink

Re: If your scanner doesn't work

Post by allypink »

Elisa wrote:Try to check this too, if u mean hw:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
http://wize.com/reviews/best-scanner-linux

In generally, most HPs are ok.

If sw, 'simple scan' does its job however I always make other corrections/optimizations in Gimp ;)
Thanks Elisa. Plenty of examples on the supported devices page. I will check and see what's available in my area.
Al.
MyR

Post by MyR »

I have an all-in-one printer (Deskjet F4280); It scans OK with sane.
However pressing the scan button on the printer doesn't do anything. I was wondering if anyone here could help with this?

Thanks
snapman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snapman »

I've installed a Brother printer/scanner DCP-135C in Linux Mint 9 but I can only scan as root.

I've read through this thread but can't work out what might solve the problem in Isadora. Any advice would be much appreciated.
snapman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snapman »

snapman wrote:I've installed a Brother printer/scanner DCP-135C in Linux Mint 9 but I can only scan as root.

I've read through this thread but can't work out what might solve the problem in Isadora. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Answering my own question...

Installed sane, libsane and libsane-extras. One of those did the trick and Xsane now works with the Brother DCP-135C.
Yeticannotski

Post by Yeticannotski »

Dear All,

I was able to print out-of-the-box with a Lexmark X203n on my LMDE system, but I am not able to scan. Lexmark seems to have a Network Scan function, but I cannot connect the printer to the router. In the geography of my tiny apartment, is either USB or nothing.

I have followed the instructions in the thread, including creating the file "/etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules" and adding the following line to it:

Code: Select all

# Lexmark X203n
SYSFS{idVendor}=="043d", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0149", MODE="666", GROUP="scanner"

When I try "sudo-sane-find-scanner" I get the following output:

Code: Select all

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x0483 [STMicroelectronics], product=0x2016 [Biometric Coprocessor]) at libusb:007:002
found USB scanner (vendor=0x043d [Lexmark International], product=0x0149 [Lexmark X203n]) at libusb:002:004
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.
However, neither Xsane nor Simple Scan are able to communicate with the scanner. Any ideas?

This is particularly frustrating because this multifunctional was expressly indicated as linux-supported (they even printed a Tux in the side of the box!!!).
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

I have an HP Photosmart_Plus_B209a-m. It prints via the wireless just fine. It is seen by Simple Scan and in GIMP. When I try and scan with Simple Scan "Failed to scan unable to connect to scanner. When I click on change scanner it shows HP Photosmart_Plus_B209a-m. In reading this thread I found some lines to run via terminal and here is the results...
don@NV53A-MINT ~ $ uname -a
Linux NV53A-MINT 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:32:27 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
don@NV53A-MINT ~ $ sane-config --version
The program 'sane-config' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install libsane-dev
don@NV53A-MINT ~ $ sane-find-scanner

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

# No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have setup
# the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.
don@NV53A-MINT ~ $ scanimage -V
scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.21; backend version 1.0.21
don@NV53A-MINT ~ $ scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/net/Photosmart_Plus_B209a-m?ip=192.168.1.17' is a Hewlett-Packard Photosmart_Plus_B209a-m all-in-one
don@NV53A-MINT ~ $
I also ran sudo apt-get install libsane-dev via terminal and it installed without error.
Any help in getting my scanner to work via wireless would be appreciated.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
jp734

Post by jp734 »

I have a usb flatbed scanner. Not the printer/fax/scanner type. All I had to do was download the .BIN file for the scanner, saved it somewhere in my harddrive and edit the snapscan.conf file under /etc/sane.d.

# Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if firmware upload is needed by the scanner
firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin #EDIT THIS PART AND TYPE THE DIRECTORY AND FILENAME FOR YOUR SCANNER.

That's all I had to do and reboot was not needed.
kingsthane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingsthane »

For those with Brother scanners I just solved my DCP7030 problem. The solution was on their website, but took just a little rooting around to find it. Here's the Linux Mint post:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 51#p531351

Hope this helps, cheers
OldgitTom

Post by OldgitTom »

Noob query;

can I get a ten-year old Canon Lide 20 scanner working in Linux Mint 12?

I am not optimistic. Even trying to update the old Wins XP driver, from the Canon site, was a futile exercise. So now, can it be used with Linux? I have the OE Canon disk, but the driver unloads with the Wins scanning software. AFA I can see, no separate driver on the CD, not that I would have much idea where to put it.

If so, next step will be asking if it will scan into Libre Writer. I managed that on Wins XP, scanning direct into Word 2007, but it was not easy. But first things first, like Simple Scan.

Any suggestions received with thanks, especially if they are simplified for the nearly clueless.
OldgitTom

Post by OldgitTom »

Solved: searching the net, read that my battered old Canon Lide 20 scanner does indeed work in Linux. All that was required was installing SANE, from Software Manager. That done, off it goes. Well, early days yet. Picture crop in Simple Scan allows me to select, but not cut. Clicked Help box, but that file is apparently missing.

But lovely! Libre Writer has direct scan-in of images. Terrific stuff, or will be when I work out how to do it properly. All I usually did with pix in Wins was crop & resize. The Msoft Word image-edit widgets for that were very good & quick. Could/should have been the basic image-editing tool, except you could not 'Save as' jpeg file, only Word format. Good old Bill; a free fly in every ointment!
ashjeny

Post by ashjeny »

Please give me more details this topic.because my scanner not work properly.
OldgitTom

Post by OldgitTom »

ashjany,

sorry, I just noted your enquiry. I'm afraid I have very little experience, so can add little to above posts, except as said - download SANE scanner with SOFTWARE MANAGER (s/where on your desktop). If that doesn't work, for any problems with particular scanners, you may have to post another query.
R9Devyatka

I'm going insane with SANE on my scanner

Post by R9Devyatka »

Greetings. I'm trying to use a 12 yr old Genius Color-page vivid III EPP model.

The fact is than i tried to move the files suggested in the first threads but i have no results.

My system is a Lisa (mint 12) 64bit edition.

i'm not sure if this scanner definitively doesnt work on a 64 bit system (since i tried on windows with no result).

Thanks for your answers.
hcmonteiro

Post by hcmonteiro »

Hi guys,

Just solved another problem in my linux mint 13 mate. I've got a Canon Lide 100 that wasn't working folowed the instrutions that i've read here:

Installed sane, libsane and libsane-extras. One of those did the trick and Xsane now works with Canon Lide 100.

Thanks Guys. More and more this is becoming a perfect system. Fast and reliable.
businessmik

Post by businessmik »

OldgitTom, interesting that you can get your 10 years old Canon scanner to work...

I've tried what you did with my brand new (2012) Canon all-in-one printer/scanner i-Sensys MF4430 and it is impossible.

(Linux 13, Mate, 32-bit, Asus Laptop + sane, libs and simplescan).

There is an official PRINTER DRIVER on Canon website, but no SCANNER DRIVER.

I've sent a mail to Canon support, asking whether there might be a scanner driver somewhere, or a driver for another model but similar to mine.

Answer: "no, sorry".

So my all-in-one machine can only print under Linux. When I bought it 6 months ago, I was still under Windows and did not plan to move to Linux. But after an ultimate crash and many hours wasted, I've moved all my business to Linux, and now I would like to be able to do everything on Linux.

Sadly... it seems that I'll have to make a dual boot and reinstall Vista... JUST for scanning!

Well in fact, from a business perspective (and from a profit perspective), it would probably be cheaper to buy a basic scanner compatible with Linux and forget about my Canon printer scanning feature. If I take into account the number of hours required to install Windows, updates, etc... It will cost much more $$$ (or euros) than a new scanner.

But it is very annoying not to be able to use my beautiful machine. Moreover, I've spent a long time to choose it among other models because I especially wanted an all-in-one to gain space in my office...

Canon, never again.
fbockstael

Post by fbockstael »

Hello to all users,

I have a Canon MX515 (MX510 series).
After installing drivers from Canon website I can scan with GIMP but scanner is not recognized in sane/xsane.
When I unistall libsane I get a correct output with:

$ scanimage -L
device `pixma:MX510_192.168.1.16' is a CANON Canon PIXMA MX510 Series multi-function peripheral

When I install libsane I get an error:

$ scanimage -L
No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

Does someone now what is wrong, or what I do wrong?

Thanks in advance.
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgeg »

Have you guys tried Vuescan? Yes, its commercial software but it works on a lot of different scanners in linux as well as windows. I've used it with my old HP 5370 and Mint 8 (yes, I'm not up to date!). Here is a list of compatible scanners: http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported

I'm not connected with Vuescan other than being a satisfied customer but their software has worked well for me.
fernandoOliveira

Post by fernandoOliveira »

My All in One SX525WD, the scanner doesnt work, only the printer.
Sane, or the xsane doesnt find the scanner.
My all in one is atached to pc by usb.
Is there any way to resolve this issue?
fotonix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fotonix »

I am also having problems. Canon 9000F, Mint 13 64bit Cinnamon. I see the device in the output of 'lsusb' (list USB), but simple scan and xsane both say no device found. I checked the version of sane and it is 1.0.14-9 which is (i) circa 2009, and (ii) marked as 'unstable'.

Sane 1.0.21 apparently brought in 'complete' support for the 9000F and a slew of other Canon scanners, back in 2010, This is 2013 and I am wondering why it is not is the available repositories - Ubuntu are sleeping? I managed to download a sane 1.0.23 stable, did the make thing, but still no joy. How would I go about ensuring that xsane is using the new version and not the old one?

I want to have this scanner going, otherwise its the dreaded dual-boot for Win7.
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
acidblue

Post by acidblue »

I have a HP Officejet pro 8600 all in one.
I can print but the scanner is not recognized in simple scan.
This worked fine in Linux Mint 13, but after clean install of Linux mInit 14 64 bit I cannot get the scanner recognized.

This is connected via wireless not usb or printer port.
I have tried sane-find-scanner, but it does not find the scanner.
Any suggetsions??

Return to “Hardware Support”