Graphics card success stories w/ Mint 9 or 10?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Graphics card success stories w/ Mint 9 or 10?

Post by SunWorks » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Hello,
Am thinking about a new(er) graphics card (pci-e) and have not found a lot of help googling for success stories, so thought, why not come to the source? Why not ask the Mint experts?

I'm running Mint 9 now, but obviously that could/will change and if I spend on a new pci-e card, it better be effective far past the distro I am running.

What cards are people finding pleasant success in Mint 9 or 10?

Personally, I'm not a gamer, but would DEFINITELY like to do the following:
  • Play Torcs smoothly
  • Play hd video smoothly
  • Output full audio through the HDMI port along with the video
  • Dual screen capable
  • Last longer than one year. :)
So... please? any success stories here? TORCS used to run smoothly on old P3-1ghz laptops, but now on far more powerful hardware, TORCS blows chunks and is my number one disappointment in Linux, which considering I'm no gamer means it's not *that* big of a deal... but I'd like to have this figured out to make recommending Mint to others a more complete package and have some fun myself.

One last thought... could the Mint forums have a category for graphics card success stories? What HW they are using and how they got their setup to work smoothly? I know there are places to go, but after setting up dozens of machines, this is the biggest problem area IMHO, and I think it makes sense to highlight/focus on it.

Thank you,
Clinton

chachi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Graphics card success stories w/ Mint 9 or 10?

Post by chachi » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:57 am

Hey Clinton,

I am running Mint 9 Isadora on this new box. The graphics card in this box is a PCIE-16 nVidia card from Palit. It uses a GeForce GT240 chip. Initially, I used the Xorg drivers with <nouveau> module, but I was not pleased with the lack of features. I wanted to enable some of the Compiz capabilities but I was notified that the driver couldn't do certain things.

I then tried to install the latest nVidia bundle (262.x.y.z..) but that was a disaster: The nVidia installer wouldn't run without having the <nouveau> driver unloaded first. Well, I simply couldn't get that to happen. If I ran "telinit 3", it reverted back to level 3 but the graphics driver REMAINED LOADED?!.. I then tried to "telinit 1" but that didn't work as the installer warned that running under level 1 was not safe/stable (I forgot exactly what it said).

Eventually, I went to synaptic and installed the latest Mint package from nVidia which was the version 195.36.24.xxx one. After the packages were installed, I went into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and set some definitions for my ViewSonic 22" monitor to get higher resolution (1600x1200). Then I rebooted and the system login screen came up in tha new 1600x1200. Nice! However, as soon as I logged-in, and went to my desktop session, the resolution reverted back to the ugly 800x600 default. I executed the Administration -> nVidia X-server settings utility and set the resolution back at 1600x1200. That persisted until I rebooted, when it again did the reversion to 800x600 as before. Somehow it will NOT save this setting across a reboot. I shut this system down several times a week so it is a nuisance to have to force my choice of screen resolution following every reboot.

With respect to the performance of this graphics card, yes I am pleased with it's speed, capability and function. The problems noted above are Mint and/or user errors.. not the card. It comes with 1 GB of DDR3 memory, 3 external connectors: VGA, DVI, and HDMI. I would recommend this card to others. I purchased the card at Newegg for $84

ed

chachi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chachi » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:05 am

I forgot to include the model number of this card.. it is NEAT2400FHD01

SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SunWorks » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:05 pm

chachi wrote:The problems noted above are Mint and/or user errors.. not the card.
Thanks for the info.
From my perspective, all three (card, Mint, and user experience) have to or *should* work together in order to make a recommendation to another. For me... this adjustment after restart would not be the end of the world, but it's really a deal-breaker from a marketing to others standpoint.
It would be beyond disappointing if there is not a single card that just works... am also shocked there is not more forum interest/response than what I'm seeing.

clinton

Boringbytes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Boringbytes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:32 pm

I think there's plenty of interest ,
it just doesn't seem to be from people who have success stories to tell. :P
I'm interested. But thats largely because my graphics card doesn't work yet in Mint 10, and I'm hoping to find some information that will help me fix it, or at least offer encouragement, here in the forum. I think I'd even take the drastic step of buying a new video card, if I knew I could just connect it, boot up my computer, and have the video card work as intended.

I do hope a few people will post their success stories.
It would be both informative, and encouraging for the rest of us.
Nice Idea
Wishing there really was a Linux guide for the thick and stupid, so I could be reading it right now.

SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SunWorks » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Silence is *not* golden in this case... I sure don't want to buy a new graphics card, but if I have to, then I'd really like to know which card(s) are getting it done.

From my humble perspective, this is the biggest hardware disappointment in Linux... and pretty much my only one.

When I was running MEPIS on a P3-1gz machine games (like TORCS) worked FAR better than I'm seeing now on a quad-core, ram-loaded power machine.

Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Missed » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:20 am

I have an amd Phenom X4 system with 4 gigs of ram and an Nvidia GTX 460 graphics card (1 gig ram), with a dual monitor (Viewsonic, 22 inch, 1680x1050) display.
I am using the Nvidia 260.19.06 driver.

I'm not into games, nor am I familiar with TORCS, but I am more than happy with my set-up, and had no issues installing the card and driver.

:D

ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ej64 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:08 am

chachi wrote: I then tried to install the latest nVidia bundle (262.x.y.z..) but that was a disaster: The nVidia installer wouldn't run without having the <nouveau> driver unloaded first. Well, I simply couldn't get that to happen. If I ran "telinit 3", it reverted back to level 3 but the graphics driver REMAINED LOADED?!.. I then tried to "telinit 1" but that didn't work as the installer warned that running under level 1 was not safe/stable (I forgot exactly what it said).
The Interference of the nouveau driver is a common pitfall. Usually the Nvidia driver asks to deactivate nouveau while installing.
If not, you may have a simple but effective search at google which digs out:
How do I prevent Nouveau from loading and performing a kernel modeset?

A simple way to prevent Nouveau from loading and performing a kernel modeset is to add configuration directives for the module loader to a file in /etc/modprobe.d/. These configuration directives can technically be added to any file in /etc/modprobe.d/, but many of the existing files in that directory are provided and maintained by your distributor, which may from time to time provide updated configuration files which could conflict with your changes. Therefore, it is recommended to create a new file, for example, /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf, rather than editing one of the existing files, such as the popular /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Note that some module loaders will only look for configuration directives in files whose names end with .conf, so if you are creating a new file, make sure its name ends with .conf.

Whether you choose to create a new file or edit an existing one, the following two lines will need to be added:

blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
source: Chapter 8. Common Problems

If you're not after the latest and greatest performance it's always fine to buy a card with a chipset that's already well introduced and not with the latest. Sticking with the provided drivers is also a good idea if you don't want to reinstall your proprietary driver after every kernel update. My desktop runs nicely with the Nvidia driver that comes with Mint.

My notebook however runs the lastest Ati driver since it's the only one that supports the power savings the chipset is able to. That makes a difference of 1 hour battery life. Therefore, unfortunately I have to reinstall the Catalyst driver after every kernel update (which I always do manually for this reason).

Apart from that, I have no complaints.
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...

chachi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chachi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:59 pm

I had a Gigabyte card (GV-NX73G256D-RH) running in a prior install of Mint 7 Gloria which was just that: "worked out of the box after install without any configuring". It wasn't a very powerful card by today's measures but it could do 2D graphics OK. It had an nVidia 7300GS chip, 256 MB of DDR2 memory onboard with DVI, VGA and TV-Out external connectors.

I don't recall cost and a quick look over at Newegg doesn't find the card available anymore. But any nVidia 7300GS card should do as well. Other vendors of nVidia cards are XFX, BFG, MSI, PNY, etc. in case you wish to browse

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:05 am

SunWorks wrote:Hello,
Am thinking about a new(er) graphics card (pci-e) and have not found a lot of help googling for success stories, so thought, why not come to the source? Why not ask the Mint experts?

I'm running Mint 9 now, but obviously that could/will change and if I spend on a new pci-e card, it better be effective far past the distro I am running.

What cards are people finding pleasant success in Mint 9 or 10?

Personally, I'm not a gamer, but would DEFINITELY like to do the following:
  • Play Torcs smoothly
  • Play hd video smoothly
  • Output full audio through the HDMI port along with the video
  • Dual screen capable
  • Last longer than one year. :)
So... please? any success stories here? TORCS used to run smoothly on old P3-1ghz laptops, but now on far more powerful hardware, TORCS blows chunks and is my number one disappointment in Linux, which considering I'm no gamer means it's not *that* big of a deal... but I'd like to have this figured out to make recommending Mint to others a more complete package and have some fun myself.

One last thought... could the Mint forums have a category for graphics card success stories? What HW they are using and how they got their setup to work smoothly? I know there are places to go, but after setting up dozens of machines, this is the biggest problem area IMHO, and I think it makes sense to highlight/focus on it.

Thank you,
Clinton
Running Mint 10 64-bit. I have a Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 graphics card.
  • Play Torcs smoothly - CHECK
  • Play hd video smoothly - CHECK, 1080p x264 L4.1 High
  • Output full audio through the HDMI port along with the video - CHECK
  • Dual screen capable - CHECK
  • Last longer than one year. :) - CHECK (R5850 released 9/30/2009)
"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SunWorks » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:11 am

JonM33 wrote:Running Mint 10 64-bit. I have a Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 graphics card.
  • Play Torcs smoothly - CHECK
  • Play hd video smoothly - CHECK, 1080p x264 L4.1 High
  • Output full audio through the HDMI port along with the video - CHECK
  • Dual screen capable - CHECK
  • Last longer than one year. :) - CHECK (R5850 released 9/30/2009)
Did you just let Mint 10 do all the driver work or did you configure something? Use the ATI driver?

thx!

JonM33
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JonM33 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:31 am

SunWorks wrote:Did you just let Mint 10 do all the driver work or did you configure something? Use the ATI driver?

thx!
Just using the ATI drivers.

"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches." -Steve Ballmer

Boringbytes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Boringbytes » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Thanks to everyone who's posted a success story.
Wishing there really was a Linux guide for the thick and stupid, so I could be reading it right now.

SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SunWorks » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:32 pm

JonM33 wrote:
SunWorks wrote:Did you just let Mint 10 do all the driver work or did you configure something? Use the ATI driver?

thx!
Just using the ATI drivers.

Sorry for the questions, but I just have not done this before.
  • Is installing the ATi drivers a complicated process for a REAL newbie?
  • Once the ATI drivers are installed and working, can they be left alone and just work? Or are constant/regular updates required which would challenge a newbie?
I'm not afraid of doing this on my own, but I'm thinking about doing it for somebody else and cannot and do not want a constant phone call asking for help fixing, updating, etc.

Thank you!
Clinton

tommyline
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommyline » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:37 pm

I'm using integreted HD 4200 with Mint 9 - works ok with the fglrx driver. I've tried Mint 10 and had problems. Logging screen was filling up slowly with needle-like lines for about five seconds before beeing readable. And then everything seemed to work fine except cursor which was changing from arrow to text, to the wheel in 2-3 seconds. The same story with amd driver, only 10.12 driver was able to install at all, but the effect was the same. Opengl programs were a mess, textures out of place. Came back to Mint 9 and everything works ok. Back in AGP cards days I had to buy Nvidia card to get any 3D support at all, ATI didn't support older cards. I'm close to buying gt 240 to test support now.

SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SunWorks » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:04 am

Forgot to include this hardware part:

Single PCI-e slot cards vs. dual PCI-e slot cards.

I have not run into any dual slot motherboards, so even though that ATI HD5850 looks incredibly sweet, I do not have the hardware for it, nor any of the people I help have that type of hardware.

The machines I am looking to upgrade are Quad-Core Dell Inspiron 530 tower and a Dell Optiplex 745 tower. Both would be interested in dual monitor set-ups, plus having the capacity to play or at least try to play a few Linux games.

For single PCIe slot systems, anybody care to share Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 experience? From what I am gathering, that may be one of the most modern, up-to-date cards for a single PCIe slot mobo.

Other choices?

From what I have gathered from video card experts (like h2-1) nVidia is *the* solid choice for longer driver support so that is why I am looking at and interested to hear if anybody has a GeForce GTS 450?

Thank you,
Clinton

High End Video Cards Require Power Supplies With Separate PCIe 2.0 Power Plugs
ATI Radeon Cards:
# 57xx Require - One 6-Pin PCIe 2.0 Plug
# 58xx Require - Two 6-Pin PCIe 2.0 Plugs
# 59xx Require - One 6-Pin AND One 8-Pin PCIe 2.0 Plugs

NVidia Geforce Cards:
# GTX460 / 465 / 475 Require - Two 6-Pin PCIe 2.0 Plugs
# GTX480 Require - One 6-Pin AND One 8-Pin PCIe 2.0 Plugs

krisnz2009
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krisnz2009 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:29 pm

To all those ATI users out there, I just wanted to post my success story finally..took me nearly half a day and multiple reboots and 2 fresh installs to get my Saphire Radeon HD6850 1GB PCIe card working...

I have a i7 980X CPU (no overclocking) with an intel P6X58D-E motherboard and 12 GB of RAM ( 2 kits of Corsair 6GB and G.Skill 6GB).
I have windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and I am now dualbooting Linux Mint 10 with windows without any difficulty.
Thank you to all those forum posters out their about enabling the ATI GPU HD6xxx series, I finally found success.

I had to remove the native drivers and all evidence of flgrx and proceed with a fresh install of AMD Catalyst 10.12 drivers. Also I had to create a simple xorg.config file as recommended.
Rebooting seemed to hang at a black screen - but I guess this demands patience..the machine does take a while to boot up and load the graphics drivers in the beginning..this is where I had lost my patience and re installed the whole OS without much luck...

Just follow the guidelines on removing all old catalyst drivers, installing the necessary packages before installing the ATI Catalyst driver, then installing it as recommended and then removing the watermark.

I have uploaded pics of my desktop with screenshots of the GPU configuration..

Please contact me if you have any queries..

Kris.
Attachments
This is a screenshot showing the recognized GPU
This is a screenshot showing the recognized GPU
Desktop02.jpg (227.14 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
This is a screenshot of my desktop
This is a screenshot of my desktop
Desktop01.jpg (251.45 KiB) Viewed 2245 times

Return to “Hardware Support”