Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
malikdhadh
Level 1
Level 1

Un Able To Mount Hard disk

Post by malikdhadh » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:42 am

I have a USB hard disk but im not able to mount it... but i get the following error msg... i have also included a screen shot of the error msg..

" Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 13: ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error
Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for more details."

It asks mee to reboot into windows... i havent used windows in nearly an year.. the only reason why the disk is still in NTFS format is that i still have to take that hard to public places and friends who use windows... any help is most appreciated thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot.JPEG
Screen shot
Screenshot.JPEG (31.92 KiB) Viewed 517 times

chattr
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Un Able To Mount Hard disk

Post by chattr » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:16 am

When you tell your system to mount partitions, some checks on the partition are performed. From what you posted, it looks as if one or more of the system checks failed, and the failure(s) resulted in the message you received. You should follow the instructions before trying to mount the partition. If you do not follow the instructions, then you will not be able to mount the partition and be able to access files on the partition.

First you need to choose whether the partition is RAID. If the partition is RAID, then follow the error message about activating the partition and mounting a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory.

If the partition is not RAID, then follow the instructions about booting into MS-Windows and running chkdsk /f . Linux cannot run chkdsk /f , that must be run when MS-Windows is running.

Further on a non-RAID partition: it does not matter how long it has been since you last booted MS-Windows. You still must run chkdsk /f inside MS-Windows to fix the error(s). Whenever the last time you used the partition or hard drive in an MS-Windows machine, the partition was not safely or properly unmounted.

Return to “Hardware Support”