Problem with sound in Mint 10

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithvalenza1

Problem with sound in Mint 10

Post by keithvalenza1 »

I have not idea why this problem keeps recurring, but I have no sound whenever I log in to Linux Mint. I have tried this solution and one other by typing this in the terminal:

sudo killall pulseaudio

sudo alsa force-reload

Then I restart my computer, and it works fine. But when I log out, then log back in, there is no sound yet again. So I do the same thing above, then it works, just one time.

What can I do to keep from having to do this every time I log in?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Problem with sound in Mint 10

Post by viking777 »

I don't know how to stop it being muted, this seems to be a 'feature' of pulseaudio :lol: :x (mine is exactly the same)

To raise the volume all you have to do is look for the program called something like 'Pulseaudio Control'. Sorry I can't give you the exact name I always start it from the command which is called 'pavucontrol' . In my case it always starts up either muted or very quiet so I have to go to the Output Devices tab and pull the slider volume up. (this is despite the fact that my tray volume already indicates that the volume is full up).

If it really bothers you to do that there are posts all around this forum and others about how to remove pulseaudio altogether then you won't get the problem. For me I don't think it is worth the effort I am quite happy just to move the slider.

Return to “Hardware Support”