Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
soapy138
Level 2
Level 2

synaptics touchpad and xorg.conf

Post by soapy138 »

i've found a few forums on how to actually get your synaptics touchpad to full functionality, they all tell you to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf which originally doesnt exist. i've know you edit that file for other things like monitors etc so before i save the file as xorg.conf i'd like to know if i'm able just to have the lines for the touchpad or if theres other things i need to put in there, or if theres a way to generate the xorg.conf file... i'm somewhat of a newb w/ linux so any help is greatly appreciated.

beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: synaptics touchpad and xorg.conf

Post by beefstu »

Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Re: synaptics touchpad and xorg.conf

Post by DrHu »

Basically, you only have to add a section for the device you need, nothing else is needed than that
--so , for example, if you had two monitors, you would only have to add a second monitor section, matching the first with any changes needed, eg resolution or color levels (24bit etc)
--similarly for a Watcom serial graphics pad, a usb one should be detected alright, although you could still make some edits if you needed specific functions available other than any default selections, as those are likely to be sub-optimal or not to match your preferences when using such a device.

You can generate an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file by copying a sample, there might be one in that directory (folder) area
--or use sudo touch /etc/Xorg.conf to get a blank xorg.conf file, to which you can add your specific sections
--or just get any sample from the internet or an older Linux boot CD, even a sample..

The reason it is no longer produced is that Ubuntu and indeed freedesktop.org (Gnome etc), wants to automatically generate the detection of all hardware, mainly monitors, mice, touchpads and usb devices
--when it works it is fine, but that method of providing an automatic setup does not allow any customization(easily) for new users, as in edit this text file, use this section for this device style of instruction

And because new users are not being told about /etc/X11/xorg.conf, they can't be expected to know about /var/log files for xorg errors etc!

Return to “Hardware Support”