Can't connect ethernet & Wireless

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blackersoul

Can't connect ethernet & Wireless

Post by blackersoul »

Hi,
I'm new on Linux but i'm really glad to learn how to life under a Linux life since I got my android cellphone :D

So, the trouble is that I can't connect to internet through Ethernet cable neither Wireless....

I totally lost !!

It's not a Ethernet cable problem. But It doesn't conect ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pokemoncatdog

Re: Can't connect ethernet & Wireless

Post by pokemoncatdog »

In Linux Mint the ethernet should just work without installing drivers. For wireless you may need a driver. http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/ne ... -in-ubuntu

You will need to connect to the web with ethernet to install the drivers for wireless. Network management is easy in Linux Mint because of "NetworkManger Applet." You should see it on the task bar. A left click shows the available networks. With a right click you can edit the connections. I don't know how you network is step up. If you don't have "DHCP" on you network. If you do not you will need a static ip. I need you info on you network step up to help you.

If its ethernet it can't be a driver problem, If its wireless it may be a driver problem.

More help on "NetworkManger Applet" http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/

http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
blackersoul

Post by blackersoul »

pokemoncatdog wrote:In Linux Mint the ethernet should just work without installing drivers. For wireless you may need a driver. http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/ne ... -in-ubuntu

You will need to connect to the web with ethernet to install the drivers for wireless. Network management is easy in Linux Mint because of "NetworkManger Applet." You should see it on the task bar. A left click shows the available networks. With a right click you can edit the connections. I don't know how you network is step up. If you don't have "DHCP" on you network. If you do not you will need a static ip. I need you info on you network step up to help you.

If its ethernet it can't be a driver problem, If its wireless it may be a driver problem.

More help on "NetworkManger Applet" http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/

http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
Yes I suposed, but the Ethernet doesn't works !!! I don't have windows in any partition, maybe that's the problem?? Or how can't I now if my pc detects my netcard ?
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Use the command

Code: Select all

lspci
to see if it detects your ethernet NIC and your wireless. If it's a USB wireless device, use

lsusb
One cool feature built into Linux Mint is a script that will give you both system specs and which driver those devices are using. Type

inxi -F
into a terminal. Just paste the output of the commands here and we can help you get something working.
blackersoul

Post by blackersoul »

Infi -F says :

System: Host PCGISELA Kernel 2.6.35-22-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint 10 Julia
CPU: Single core Intel Celeron 560 (-UP-) cache 1024 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips 4256.74 clocked at 2128.372 MHz
Graphics: Card Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.9.0 Res: 1280x800@60.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 965GM GEM 20100330 DEVELOPMENT x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.9-devel Direct Rendering Yes
Audio: Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.23
Network: Card-1 Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k v: 0.6.0 BusID: 01:00.0
Card-2 Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver 8139too v: 0.9.28 at port 1000 BusID: 02:01.0
Disks: HDD Total Size: 122.1GB (3.8% used) 1: /dev/sda FUJITSU_MHY2120B 120.0GB
2: USB /dev/sdb Flash_Disk 2.1GB

Partition: ID:/ size: 108G used: 2.7G (3%) fs: ext4 ID:swap-1 size: 3.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes 143 Uptime 10 min Memory 212.5/992.2MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.12
[/size]

lou@******* ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 04)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f4)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

Thanx ! I hope this I would be helpfull !!!
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Can you run

sudo rfkill list
and if either soft or hard blocked say YES, then

sudo rfkill unblock all
If your device is still not enabled, can you run

sudo lshw -C network
which will give more info on your particular network card's status. And also run

iwconfig
. Post the output of those if your card is still not working.

Note: Network: Card-1 Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k v: 0.6.0 BusID: 01:00.0
That's your wireless device, by the way, and it shows that the ath5k driver is being used so it's probably just disabled for some reason. Does it have a switch on it to turn on and off? If you disconnect the ethernet cord does it activate?
blackersoul

Post by blackersoul »

TBABill wrote:Can you run

sudo rfkill list
and if either soft or hard blocked say YES, then

sudo rfkill unblock all
If your device is still not enabled, can you run

sudo lshw -C network
which will give more info on your particular network card's status. And also run

iwconfig
. Post the output of those if your card is still not working.

Note: Network: Card-1 Atheros AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath5k v: 0.6.0 BusID: 01:00.0
That's your wireless device, by the way, and it shows that the ath5k driver is being used so it's probably just disabled for some reason. Does it have a switch on it to turn on and off? If you disconnect the ethernet cord does it activate?
Hey I'm here again hehe

This what I've got :

mint@mint ~ $ sudo lshw -C network
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
product: AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 00:22:69:27:7d:93
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k driverversion=2.6.35-22-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
resources: irq:16 memory:51300000-5130ffff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@0000:02:01.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:1e:ec:8e:6f:4c
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=full latency=64 link=yes maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
resources: irq:16 ioport:1000(size=256) memory:51200000-512000ff

mint@mint ~ $ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off

Maybe we are close to the end ? :S

Thanx!
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I don't have an Atheros to troubleshoot along with you but can you provide the output of

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
and also try

sudo ifup wlan0
Any progress?
blackersoul

Post by blackersoul »

I think not. This is what it says :

lou@******* ~ $ iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0 Failed to read scan data : Network is down

lou@********** ~ $ sudo ifup wlan0
Ignoring unknown interface wlan0=wlan0.

Maybe could be that I haven' t installed the pc's drives cd ? It has a folder named LAN. But It works by an .exe ...So maybe there's another way to install this f**** drivers ? hehe
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

The driver is already there. I just am trying to figure out the issue preventing it from just working. Can you past the contents of the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file back here? Just

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
and then just close it without saving once you paste it here.
blackersoul

Post by blackersoul »

# This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by
# alias expansion, usually so some other driver will be loaded for the
# device instead.

# evbug is a debug tool that should be loaded explicitly
blacklist evbug

# these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
blacklist usbmouse
blacklist usbkbd

# replaced by e100
blacklist eepro100

# replaced by tulip
blacklist de4x5

# causes no end of confusion by creating unexpected network interfaces
blacklist eth1394

# snd_intel8x0m can interfere with snd_intel8x0, doesn't seem to support much
# hardware on its own (Ubuntu bug #2011, #6810)
blacklist snd_intel8x0m

# Conflicts with dvb driver (which is better for handling this device)
blacklist snd_aw2

# causes failure to suspend on HP compaq nc6000 (Ubuntu: #10306)
blacklist i2c_i801

# replaced by p54pci
blacklist prism54

# replaced by b43 and ssb.
blacklist bcm43xx

# most apps now use garmin usb driver directly (Ubuntu: #114565)
blacklist garmin_gps

# replaced by asus-laptop (Ubuntu: #184721)
blacklist asus_acpi

# low-quality, just noise when being used for sound playback, causes
# hangs at desktop session start (Ubuntu: #246969)
blacklist snd_pcsp

# ugly and loud noise, getting on everyone's nerves; this should be done by a
# nice pulseaudio bing (Ubuntu: #77010)
blacklist pcspkr

# EDAC driver for amd76x clashes with the agp driver preventing the aperture
# from being initialised (Ubuntu: #297750). Blacklist so that the driver
# continues to build and is installable for the few cases where its
# really needed.
blacklist amd76x_edac
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 01#p297029

Can you look at the post above? It uses ndiswrapper to get it going but seems to be step by step. The subject states it is for an incorrectly reported AR5001, but since yours is an AR5001 would it still work? Probably can't hurt at this point. I'm just scratching my head over why the ethernet isn't working right out of the box.

Blacklist.conf doesn't have anything blacklisted that shouldn't be.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

That chip set Atheros has been a continual issue for Linux systems, and it either needs a good driver, a patched kernel or some other work-around

http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showthr ... ?p=9287770
  • --see post # 10
You have already tried most of the solutions/workarounds/configurations available
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Thanks Dr. Hu, I've been racking my brain trying to think of what I could have been missing. Next issue is to get the ethernet side working so there is some form of connectivity.
blackersoul

Post by blackersoul »

DrHu wrote:That chip set Atheros has been a continual issue for Linux systems, and it either needs a good driver, a patched kernel or some other work-around

http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showthr ... ?p=9287770
  • --see post # 10
You have already tried most of the solutions/workarounds/configurations available
Hi DrHu !!

Thanx for help but I get lost on this step -->
  • get the stuff needed to compile ndiswrapper
    CODE: SELECT ALL
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential
How can I get the stuff needed and then install it to my other desktop¿¿ ' Cause I'm connectin' through my pc. It's my desktop which doesn't get conected.

Do u understand??? Thanx again !! Sorry , I'm feel stupid .... :oops:
sjonesy

Post by sjonesy »

well this is pointless, I got the same issue without wireless, lxde wont install on an emachines because the retarded RTL-8139 driver doesnt work, so it isnt anything to do with wireless in my case.
just for reference,,,,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=607953
now this is a known issue, seems kinda silly to have it ignored now, because I was 'upgrading' from rhel 5 to mint lxde and the damn thing wont install because mint cant claim the pos realtek card? gimme a break.

Return to “Hardware Support”