SD card and Flash Drive read only

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Prescottech

SD card and Flash Drive read only

Post by Prescottech »

I have a tower running Mint 9 Julia. Out of the blue, when I plug in my SD card with a USB converter or a Flash drive, all the data is locked (With the little grey padlock on the icons). I checked the permissions on the files, and they are set to Read & Write. I can copy the pics and stuff, but I can't dellete them. This happens with all my SD cards and Flash drives. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lauren

Re: SD card and Flash Drive read only

Post by lauren »

Hi!
First: you have Gnome or KDE or?
I have many USB flash drives and Micro SD cards - without any problem.
I use a MicroSD Adapter [built in card reader] which can be locked (or not).
I made the experience (in several forums) that the USB problem only can be solved by saving data and formatting.
But we can try to find another solution:
Please post the output of Terminal / Konsole (Gnome / KDE):

Code: Select all

blkid
as root

mount

cat /etc/fstab
and

cat /etc/mtab
with all devices/ cards plugged in.
sinczar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sinczar »

I am having the same problem as Prescottech. I am running the latest version of Mint 10 KDE, and can read and copy from, but now write to, my flash drives. This is very frustrating, since they worked in the past. The system is up to date. Assuming it a device permission problem, since it is mounted and readable, I tried chmod with no luck.

Thanks,

Rich D.
surfsteve

Post by surfsteve »

I have Mint 11 and I had the same problem with my SD card today. First thing I thought was maybe I accidentally flipped the little read only switch on the SD card, but no luck. Went through all the above and still couldn't delete anything. Even tried accessing the files as an administrator. Still couldn't delete them even when they were highlight-able.

SOLVED IT by reformatting the SD card.

Click on menu>computer, right click on SD card symbol and select format.

WORKS FINE NOW. I just popped the SD card back in my camera, snapped some pictures and deleted them with no problem. Not really sure how the files got locked or why they wouldn't unlock. I'm just glad it didn't happen to my hard drive. Looking back, I'm thinking I probably inadvertently locked the files while using the features on my camera and that it didn't have anything to do with the computer.
mali radnik

Post by mali radnik »

Hey, I wish it were so simple with my USB stick, still helplessly blocked! It cannot be formatted. I also use Mint 11. How do you get CODE: SELECT ALL?
mali radnik

Post by mali radnik »

Hey, I wish it were so simple with my USB stick, still helplessly blocked! It cannot be formatted. I also use Mint 11. How do you get CODE: SELECT ALL?

Return to “Hardware Support”