Mint11 won't stop (actually won't restart)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rozen

Mint11 won't stop (actually won't restart)

Post by rozen »

Hi,

I am running Mint11 on a Dell XPS 410 with 4 GB RAM and an Nvidia 7300 LE. I installed a proprietary driver version 173. I get into system and it seems to be working fine as I am doing my setup stuff, installing various programs and so forth.

However, when I attempt to reboot or shut down the system hangs with a black screen. The last time I tried it I got the following screen message:

modem-manager[889]: <info> caught signal 15, shutting down.

Then nothing; I eventually hit the power switch to kill the system. In looking closer it seems that it will Halt but definitely does hang with the message "Will now restart". But it doesn't ever restart.

I have the same problem with Ubuntu 11.04, but have been running 10.10 very happily. I moved Mint 11 because I want to stay with gnome.

I would appreciate any suggestions how to get a proper reboot.

Thanks in Advance,
Don
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exaeresis

Re: Mint11 won't stop (actually won't restart)

Post by exaeresis »

Open a terminal and write:

Code: Select all

sudo reboot -f
In order to force a restart. Let's see if it works that way. If it does not, at least we would understand why not by looking at the message it gives you. So, if it does not work, post here what it outputs you.
To shutdown your system you may try:

sudo shutdown -h now
rozen

Post by rozen »

Hi,

I tried

sudo restart -f

Nothing happened except the screen locked still showing the command in the xterm window. There was no output in the xterm window and after a minute or so, I did a power down.

Don
exaeresis

Post by exaeresis »

The command is

sudo reboot -f
not

sudo restart -f
Try like I said, let's see if it gives any error.
rozen

Post by rozen »

Hi,

I apologize for not being able to read.

I tried

sudo reboot -f

and it locked my desktop including the xterm window where I entered the command. There was no output to the xterm window. Again, i waited a couple of minutes and did a power down.

I am also having trouble with suspend/resume. It works but the computer is slower than molasses after the resume. So slow that I reboot by selecting "SHUTDOWN" which works and then turning the power on.

Reboot/suspend and reboot work fine in Ubuntu 10.10. Reboot also fails in Ubuntu 11.04.

Sorry about the restart command in the last post,

Don

Return to “Hardware Support”