HDD defect

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bude

HDD defect

Post by Bude »

I recently formatted my hdds and installed vista and linux. So i needed to install windows first.
I chose a partition on my sda device, but after 20 minutes of installation vista refused to continue, because it could not access a file on my hdd.
After reboot windows automatically ran chkdsk and found a few defect sectors. I wanted to install vista again, but it failed.

I googled a bit and i thought a low-level formatation could solve my problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: HDD defect

Post by remoulder »

You cannot low-level format modern drives, you'll need to buy a new one if not under warranty.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Bude

Post by Bude »

ok so what i need is a zero-fill tool ? If the bad sectors are not "growing" i can just keep my disk ?

How do i best ensure what hdd i have ? I am pretty sure i have a seagate, but just to be 100%.
yep got a seagate
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Bude wrote:what i need is a zero-fill tool
Zero-filling will not help if there is a genuine (i.e. physical) bad sector, but may if the sector has only been marked as such by software due to a temporary access problem.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Hardware Support”