sata speed question

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
truexfan81

sata speed question

Post by truexfan81 »

how do i figure out if mint is running in sata or sata 2? both hdds are sata 2 capable, mobo is sata 2 capable, there is no option in the bios to set the speed. I'm running mint 9 64bit. i have noticed that when transfering large amounts of data it maintains a steady 86MB/s. for some reason i feel like that is a bit slow for sata 2 but i'm not sure.

thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
truexfan81

Re: sata speed question

Post by truexfan81 »

ok now i'm more confused lol :lol:
Lanser

Re: sata speed question

Post by Lanser »

truexfan81. Don't forget that SATA I,II or III is about the connection speed, not necessarily the overall data transfer speed.
The read / write speeds and caching of the HDD will also impact your perceived throughput. As will the size of the files you are trying to move.

The other thing to note is that sometimes Linux utilities /commands don't always report what is really going on. Some times just because they haven't been updated yet.
EG. I recently migrated to all SATA III drives / cables and set my MB to 6Gb/s. I can now transfer 800Mb ISO's between drives in half the time I could previously... :-)
but if I use $ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep -i speed I get: * Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s) * Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s) .........no 6.0 Gb/s !

Bottom line is that the "speed" is always going to be a comparative measurement, based on what your file transfer usage is.
Low volume very large files or high volume very small files.
The only thing for sure is that our real world "numbers" will never be as high as the theoretical engineered max.

hope this helps

Lanser

Return to “Hardware Support”