Wacom Graphire 3 - Option KeepShape? [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SJKReid

Wacom Graphire 3 - Option KeepShape? [SOLVED]

Post by SJKReid »

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on the forum, and my first try of Linux Mint, using version 11.

I LOVE it to bits by the way, way better than Ubuntu, and way faster in every way, except one, which is the nature of this post :)

Basically I've fresh installed LM11 onto my computer, downloaded the updates, and used driver 173 for nvidia GeForce 5200FX, everything going dandy there...NOW, the Graphire 3 works nice and all the pressure sensitivity works cool, but the Graphire 3 is a different aspect ration to the widescreen monitor. In Ubuntu I went and altered a file called 10-wacom.conf, just added Option "KeepShape" "On" or something like that to the file, saved, and voila, aspect is perfect.

In Linux Mint I can't find this file, I found a file called 50-wacom.conf, which looked similiar, but when I added the KeepShape option it had nasty unusable results.

Was just wondering if someone could help me or guide me in the right direction? Is this as simple on Ubuntu and I just don't know where to add it, or is it more complicated? There are NO posts on this forum with the word KeepShape in it (until now), and a search of the internet in relation to this in Linux Mint is either extremely vague or nothing to do with what i'm talking about....

Anyone? I would love you forever if you could help me out, cause I don't want to go back to Ubuntu!

Stephen from Ireland
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Wacom Graphire 3 - Option KeepShape?

Post by remoulder »

SJKReid wrote:There are NO posts on this forum with the word KeepShape
If you are running the ubuntu based version of mint, i.e. katya, then search the ubuntu forums, if running the debian based version, search the debian forums. There may be some configurational differences between ubuntu and the equivalent mint version, but in general what works there should work here.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
SJKReid

Post by SJKReid »

ok thank you for your advise :) I went the ubuntu route of support and followed the instructions...

When I added the option keepshape to the right place, it does "change" the way the tablet works, but instead of fixing the aspect ratio problem, it wrecks the horizontal position of the cursor on the screen, the cursor is basically completely off the screen until you move it til about 9/10th of the way to the left, in which it moves very quickly around a small area...has anyone ever heard of such a problem? The same instructions in Ubuntu worked for me right away, and I keep reading that Mint gets its hardware stuff from Ubuntu, what on earth is going on? I've scanned google for hours here with nothing helpful. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited to show my 50-wacom.conf file:

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "Wacom class"
# WALTOP needs a patched kernel driver, that isn't in mainline lk yet,
# so for now just let it fall through and be picked up by evdev instead.
	#MatchProduct "Wacom|WALTOP|WACOM"
	MatchProduct "Wacom|WACOM|Hanwang"
	MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
	Driver "wacom"
	Option "KeepShape" "on"
	Option "Mode" "Absolute"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "Wacom serial class"
	MatchProduct "Serial Wacom Tablet"
	Driver "wacom"
	#Option "KeepShape" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Wacom serial class identifiers"
        MatchProduct "WACf|FUJ02e5|FUJ02e7"
        Driver "wacom"
	#Option "KeepShape" "on"
EndSection

# N-Trig Duosense Electromagnetic Digitizer
Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "Wacom N-Trig class"
	MatchProduct "HID 1b96:0001|N-Trig Pen"
	MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
	Driver "wacom"
	Option "Button2" "3"
	#Option "KeepShape" "on"
EndSection
SJKReid

Post by SJKReid »

Ok after a bit more searching I luckily stumbled across a post on the Ubuntu forums for Dual Monitors in Natty 11.04 and it solves this issue! Apparently Option KeepShape on has been removed "temporarily", and you now have to use the xsetwacom command to do the same thing, heres the instructions I follow:
my dual monitor setup is, acording to xrandr : 3520 x 1080 pixels or a 3.26 ratio
xinput --list told me I had a Wacom Graphire4 6x8 stylus
xinput list-props "Wacom Graphire4 6x8 stylus" told me the Wacom tablet area was 0, 0, 16704, 12064 or a ratio of 1.38
So to get my tablet 1.38 ratio to match my screen 3.26 I had to multiply the height by 1.38/3.26=0.42
Instead of a tablet 16704x12064 I would have 16704 by 5066
so I tried xsetwacom set "Wacom Graphire4 6x8 stylus" Area 0, 0, 16704, 5066
and it worked,
my circles are round again.
to make it stick through reboot I created a .xsetwacom.sh in my /home/user/ folder in the properties/permissions of the file I checked "allow executing file as program"
and added to system>preferences>startup aplications the command sh /home/user/.xsetwacom.sh
that didn't work so I also put in the terminal: chmod +x ~/.xsetwacom.sh
not sure which one of the two works but now when i restart I can draw circles.
This worked perfectly and I can now draw circles! The only difference from the keepshape way is that the bottom 1/5th of my tablet is now unused, to maintain the aspect ratio.

Hope this helps someone else in the same situation.
Ceezey

Re: Wacom Graphire 3 - Option KeepShape? [SOLVED]

Post by Ceezey »

Eternally grateful for this one SJKReid! I recently ported to Linux Mint from Natty only a few days back - I don't want to 'hate' on Ubuntu too much as it served my needs pretty well but I was losing my sanity a little with Unity and just felt like a change was due. I also resurrected my Graphire4 which hasn't seen the light of day for about 3 years!!!

A point to note - one which I'm slightly ashamed to point out as it caught me out. When using 'xsetwacom' to set the 'Area' parameter ensure you set out your values with a SPACE after each comma - I was continually entering my values as, xsetwacom set "Wacom Graphire4 4x5 stylus" Area 0,0,10208,5790" and NOT "xsetwacom set "Wacom Graphire4 4x5 stylus" Area 0, 0, 10208, 5790" before I had the 'duh' moment as the terminal wasn't complaining but just wasn't setting the values.

Thanks again.

Return to “Hardware Support”