Need help on installing WIZARDPEN driver in Mint 9 Isadora

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buddhaspake

Need help on installing WIZARDPEN driver in Mint 9 Isadora

Post by buddhaspake »

Hi,

I am using Linux Mint 9 Isadora (Due to relatively low-end system configuration). I tried to find a solution that would make the OS recognize my iBall Pen-tablet, and the only one that came up was to install the WizardPen driver. Apparently people had made it work in Ubuntu, so I was hopeful. While installing from source, I got the following error after I try the make step:

Code: Select all

make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/buddha/Downloads/Drivers/xorg-input-wizardpen-0.8.0'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/buddha/Downloads/Drivers/xorg-input-wizardpen-0.8.0/src'
/bin/bash ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..     -g -O2 -fvisibility=hidden -I/usr/include/xorg -I/usr/include/pixman-1    -I../src -MT wizardpen.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/wizardpen.Tpo -c -o wizardpen.lo wizardpen.c
libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.2.6 Debian-2.2.6a-4, but the
libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.2.6b.
libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.2.6 Debian-2.2.6a-4
libtool: and run autoconf again.
make[2]: *** [wizardpen.lo] Error 63
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/buddha/Downloads/Drivers/xorg-input-wizardpen-0.8.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/buddha/Downloads/Drivers/xorg-input-wizardpen-0.8.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
I am basically an end-user (and not a geek per se) with 7 years of Windows experience behind me, so I feel like a fish in deep water here. Most online tutorials cover how to install s/w from source when things go as expected (./configure, make, make install, enjoy..). Now I know very little about Debian/Ubuntu except that Ubuntu is based on Debian, so the libtool error threw me completely astray about what I should do next. Pardon me if I sound naive, but could anyone help out? I am prepared to do a little research if you can point me to the right direction (which is another way of saying I am not asking to be spoon fed, although that would be nice too :oops: ).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Need help on installing WIZARDPEN driver in Mint 9 Isado

Post by richyrich »

Source : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TabletSetupWizardpen

Instead of compiling yourself , check out the pre-made DEB files (from the PPA link in the tutorial above):
http://ppa.launchpad.net/doctormo/xorg- ... wizardpen/

And there are extra instructions for "Lucid Lynx" = Isadora 9 , did you follow those as well ?
buddhaspake

Post by buddhaspake »

richyrich wrote:Source : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TabletSetupWizardpen
Instead of compiling yourself , check out the pre-made DEB files (from the PPA link in the tutorial above):

And there are extra instructions for "Lucid Lynx" = Isadora 9 , did you follow those as well ?
Thanks a ton richyrich! I followed the instructions for Lucid Lynx and now the driver is finally installed. It also recognizes my tablet and allows me to calibrate it.
The lines from the calibration command output is supposed to be added to the xorg.conf file (in /etc/X11), so that on rebooting, Mint can configure the tablet if it's connected.

And here's the problem: :evil:
Apparently Xorg now detects most I/O devices by some default mechanism and does not require an xorg.conf file. One can create a file however to specify custom additions (like the wizardpen calibration settings under an "INPUTDEVICE" tag, say).

I found from google that the way to do this is to :
  • stop gdm
  • run "sudo Xorg -configure" to generate a "xorg.conf" file with settings
  • place it in "/etc/X11" (Xorg only uses the file if it finds it)
  • start gdm again (or reboot)
I did exactly this and my monitor turned black. I only got it to work as before by logging in without GUI and deleting the newly generated xorg.conf file (I think it was preventing linux from detecting the monitor). Now I am back to square 1 with the calibration settings ready but don't know where to put them. :cry:
I will try to find a way around, but if anyone can post a pointer on how to change/add to the xorg.conf file under similar circumstances (where xorg.conf is not originally present in the system) it would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Something to try ?

create your own new xorg.conf file as superuser , and save it in the proper location.

Section "InputDevice"

your data here . .
     more if needed . .

EndSection
buddhaspake

Post by buddhaspake »

richyrich wrote:Something to try ?
Tried it. I had initially thought any Section defined in a custom xorg.conf would override system defaults and thus require to be defined in totality, but luckily it was not so. My other input devices functioned ok. So it seemed to be going on well. The tablet still didn't work. (It was detected, and the pointer went and got stuck at the screen top-left, 0-0 I guess :) ). So I tried the next step in the tutorial, with your logic:
Ubuntu Wizardpen Tutorial wrote: Edit the file - Run this command:

sudo vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Press "I" - So that "-- INSERT --" appears
Insert the output from calibrate into xorg.conf: (just place it below your generic mouse)
Add the following line in the "ServerLayout" section:

InputDevice "WizardPen Tablet" "AlwaysCore"
Save the file, and exit the editor (Press "ESC" and write ":wq" and press "Enter")
Custom xorg.conf placed in /etc/X11:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "WizardPen Tablet"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Driver          "wizardpen"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/tablet-event"
        Option          "TopX"          "0"
        Option          "TopY"          "234"
        Option          "BottomX"       "32747"
        Option          "BottomY"       "32762"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        InputDevice "WizardPen Tablet" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection
Unfortunately, after reboot, :evil: The black screen :evil: returned, so I guess it means I shouldn't have used the ServerLayout section in the customization. I renamed the xorg.conf from shell to reclaim my driver-autodetection, and here I am :?
It seems I am missing something very simple (which is highly likely, given my utter ignorance of how an OS works, something Windows hides very conveniently), so thanks for listening to all the blabber :wink:
thebeaky

Post by thebeaky »

Try the following file. I managed to get this bit, but not the pressure yet.

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-wizardpen.conf

Return to “Hardware Support”