Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Katyanewb
Level 3
Level 3

any problems with Dell laptops?

Post by Katyanewb »

I'm thinking of buying this laptop with a blank HD so I can run Katya on it along with Win XP:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dell-Inspiron-M5 ... 45fd6c6aa9

Have people encountered issues with Linux Mint 11 and this kind of laptop?

Lanser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: any problems with Dell laptops?

Post by Lanser »

Katyanewb. I am sure that you will enjoy running Mint on this machine.
Will there be a few hiccups along the way.... probably.
But you should be able to resolve them with a little effort and research on the forums.
I suggest downloading a few of the mint distros, burning to DVD and booting into the live versions, before settling on which one to install.
BTW. Install WIN XP first, then install Mint into it's own partition. Better than doing it the other way round ;-)

Lanser
Thinkpads:- LMDE4, LM19.1 Mate, Debian 10

Katyanewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Katyanewb »

I was just wondering what kind of "hiccups" people have encountered, as I see a lot of laptop-related posts in the Mint forum.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

No more issues than with any other average laptop, from what I read on this Dell Inspiron M5030. You can expect to need the boot parameters "acpi=off nomodeset" if you get a black screen at boot, due to the AMD/ATI graphics card (source). But you can resolve that after installation by opening the Additional Drivers from the Control Center to load correct drivers.

If you plan to run only Linux on this machine, no worries. The Windows recovery partition however might be an issue if you don't format the harddisk and remove it, read here.

The Wifi is reported to be Atheros, which I think is well supported. You can always install additional drivers for that also if needed. The worst supported devices on laptops these days are the built-in webcams, IIRC.

With 4 GiB RAM and, though not fast, at least a dual-core CPU this seems like a good option to run Linux Mint on :wink: I don't expect you'll get any unresolvable problems (except perhaps the webcam). All my Dell desktops and laptops at work have always booted Linux without issues, though these were models targeted at business use...

Arcosanti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arcosanti »

I'm on an old Dell Latitude D400 running LM 11 Katya. The only issues I've seen so far are slow playback of videos, unable to get the b43 native wifi driver to work, and unable to get 3d graphics support to work. As for the 3d graphics problem, I am not sure if it is a wine problem or a linux display driver problem. I am running Topo USA 6.0 in wine and the 3d map view won't work. I don't have any linux 3d apps to test out right now to see if it is the display driver or wine. Thats pretty much it.

Return to “Hardware Support”