Wireless issues with Intel Corp WiFi Link 1000 BGN adapter

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jerryk

Wireless issues with Intel Corp WiFi Link 1000 BGN adapter

Post by jerryk »

I am new to Linux Mint 11 so please bear with me in my explanation. I am also a grandfather with limited computer knowledge but my grandkids think I am cool just because installed Linux.

Let me give you some background before I ask some question regarding my wireless connection and Mint. I bought a Gateway EC1457U Notebook, 1.30GHz Intel Pentium SU4100, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HDD, with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit already installed. I have 64 bit Mint 11 installed with Windows 7 and a grub. I really like Mint 11 and the Gateway computer but the wireless leaves something to be desired. It has a Intel Corp WiFi Link 1000 BGN adapter.

I have had nothing but problems with the wireless from not working at all (driver issue-since corrected) and the speed which seems to be a continuing issue. It will work within about twenty yards (18.288m) of the router. If I didn’t have three to four bars (signal quality) it won’t work at all. The speed is from 1.0 mbps (connection is dropped) to the mid teens.

Subsequently, there have been several driver upgrades with the latest being in 8/3/2011. It was either this driver upgrade or the one before (5/2011) that two Microsoft (MS) adapters were added. One appears to be a booster of some type for the 1000 BGN card. When I activate the booster through the "My WiFi Technology” I don't get disconnected from the internet using this booster. I sort of stumbled over this fix. The booster adapter usually runs at a steady 48to54 mbps with the 1000 BGN fluctuating usually in the low speeds. When I double click on the wireless bars and the open network and sharing center it reflects that I am connected thru multiple networks. Previously it only reflected the name of my network when the booster was not installed.

On the Linux Mint 11 side of the computer I have a 802.11 WiFi interface (wlano) and a iwlagn driver. The problem is with my connection speed with Mint and the computer staying on the internet. On occasion, I loose the internet when the speed drops to 1mpbs. It happens about every two hours on average.

I tried a couple things on the Windows side including leaving the 1000 BGN and MS adapter on and then shutting down before the starting Mint. The Mint seems improved but I still get knocked off the internet occasionally. I tried not activating the MS adapter and just leaving the 1000BGN adapter on. There is no improvement. I even tried disabling the 1000 BGN resulting in both MS adapters shutting down and then starting Mint. Mint works even if I disable the adapters on the Windows side. Again no improvement.

Here are my questions

1. Is there some type of booster like the aforementioned Windows solution on the Mint side of the computer?

2. Is Mint really using the 1000BGN and the MS adapter and I don’t know it? Is there a way I can tell? How is that done?

3. Is there something else in Mint that I can activate to help with the speed?

4. Would a USB wireless adapter help? If so which one? Would Mint automatically recognize it?

Thank you for reading this and thanks for any help provided. Any solutions that you offer please dumb it down. You are dealing with a grandfather with limited computer knowledge.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
akonobi2011

Re: Wireless issues with Intel Corp WiFi Link 1000 BGN adapt

Post by akonobi2011 »

If it's the range of your wifi adapter that is an issue, my suggestion is that you get an Alfa adapter. Whether it will work with Mint 11 is a matter for investigation. I do know it works out of the box with later Ubuntu distros. This adapter will extend your wifi range way past what you may imagine. I've got one and it's the strongest of any I've found. You can read about the details here.

Return to “Hardware Support”