Touchpad stops working in Mint 12

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cebalrai

Touchpad stops working in Mint 12

Post by cebalrai »

After an apparently random amount of time in Mint 12, my touchpad and buttons stop responding. The only way to recover them is with a reboot. The mouse has no problems. In Mint 11 the touchpad was perfectly fine. Any suggestions? :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
serdarmutlu

Re: Touchpad stops working in Mint 12

Post by serdarmutlu »

I have the same problem. It was fine with Mint 11 but today I installed Mint 12. Everything is fine except touch pad. Please don't suggest about function F7. My netbook is Acer Aspire One D250. Please help.

Thanks for your support.
Pantsman

Post by Pantsman »

I'm currently having the same problem. Went from Linux Mint 11 LXDE, where the touchpad worked fine, to Linux Mint 12, where it stops working at random times. While running the live installer, the touchpad wasn't working right from the start. I plugged in an external mouse to carry out the installation, which worked without a hitch. On subsequent boots, the touchpad works at first but then locks up after a few minutes.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire One D250, like that of the poster above.
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

Hi,

(I'm assuming that the touchpad options are set properly under 'Mouse Preferences')
Try installing gpointing-devices-settings and tweaking the trackpad settings from there.

On my ThinkPad T61, the touchpad stopped working in Ubuntu 11.10 & LM12 after working flawlessly for a while.
I installed gpointing-devices-settings and upon starting it for the first time, I found that the 'Disable touchpad' option was checked. (No clue why. The settings on Mouse Preferences were normal.) Upon unchecking that box, the trackpad has been working like a champ. Zero problems.

Hope that helps.
tsbartle

Post by tsbartle »

This worked for me, thanks!

Dell v13 running Mint 12 x64
Pantsman

Post by Pantsman »

This worked for me too!
hitduizhang

Post by hitduizhang »

my touch pad not working too.
resuni

Post by resuni »

Didn't work for me. I'm on an Acer Aspire 5250 and that option was not checked in GPointing Device Settings.
maverick17

Post by maverick17 »

wolverine_tech wrote:I installed gpointing-devices-settings and upon starting it for the first time, I found that the 'Disable touchpad' option was checked. (No clue why. The settings on Mouse Preferences were normal.) Upon unchecking that box, the trackpad has been working like a champ. Zero problems.
This fix also worked for me on my Asus K52J laptop with LM12. Thanks!
jazz.h
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jazz.h »

This also happened once on my Acer 722, on the login screen. I restarted and everything was OK then. No more these events afterwards.
Next time I'll try this.
sherazade

Post by sherazade »

und noch mal: ich hab das gleiche problem, allerdings wird es schlimmer.
linux mint 12, 32 bit, neu installiert. erst hat das touchpad so nach und nach nicht mehr funktioniert, jetzt schaltet es sich gleich ab, sobald ich mich einlogge. davor hat nen restart geholfen.
übern gast-account geht es noch, aber das ist ja keine lösung :(
systemeinstellungen sind kontrolliert, haken ist nicht an.
r0berto

Post by r0berto »

+1 fixed, so far. Time will tell as it is seemingly random when it drops.
nspotorno

Post by nspotorno »

Worked for me too !!
thanks pal

lenovo t61
michelecic

Post by michelecic »

I had the same problem and installing gpointing-devices-settings worked for me as well (I had the "Disable Touchpad" option selected too). Thanks :D
flanagan

Post by flanagan »

For those (especially with Acer laptops) who have tried the gpointing-devices method without success: Have you tried Fn-F7? That function key enables/disables the touchpad.
peareater

Post by peareater »

I can confirm that the gpointing-device-settings fix works on an Asus 1005HA netbook.
avinashayyagari

Post by avinashayyagari »

Worked well with VAIO CS17G
Thankyou very much!
Iamghost

Post by Iamghost »

can someone please direct to where I can learn how to install these types of files I searched around a bit and I'll keep searching but I'm having the touch pad problem and I the file I'm just brand new to all of this so I don't know what to do with a tar.gz file I extracted and did the configure but what do I do with the file that made?
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Iamghost wrote:I don't know what to do with a tar.gz file I extracted and did the configure but what do I do with the file that made?
I don't know what file you extracted and how. Nothing wrong in compiling from source but the package is in the repositories so you either type in the command I gave you above or open synaptic package manager and search gpointing-device-settings in there.

Return to “Hardware Support”