Touchpad stops working in Mint 12

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Iamghost

Re: Touchpad stops working in Mint 12

Post by Iamghost »

last night when I checked the package manager it wasn't there but I could always have misspelled it I suppose thanks :D
oh and I downloaded the file from http://live.gnome.org/GPointingDeviceSettings which took me to sourceforge to get the actual file
Bote

Post by Bote »

Worked perfect on my Thinkpad Edge 520
vibhudost

Post by vibhudost »

i had the same problem, but i tried a different thing which worked for me...
I restarted the mouse drivers by typing in terminal
sudo rmmod psmouse
sudo modprobe psmouse
coolmccool

Post by coolmccool »

wolverine_tech wrote:Hi,

(I'm assuming that the touchpad options are set properly under 'Mouse Preferences')
Try installing gpointing-devices-settings and tweaking the trackpad settings from there.

On my ThinkPad T61, the touchpad stopped working in Ubuntu 11.10 & LM12 after working flawlessly for a while.
I installed gpointing-devices-settings and upon starting it for the first time, I found that the 'Disable touchpad' option was checked. (No clue why. The settings on Mouse Preferences were normal.) Upon unchecking that box, the trackpad has been working like a champ. Zero problems.

Hope that helps.
Yep that helps - it REALLY helps. Thnx buddy. Swell job. :D

The 'disable touchpad' option was indeed checked. Mint 12 on HP Compaq nx 6320
chatterjee

Post by chatterjee »

Nice suggestion.Works like charm!...but couldn't figure out why the hell it happened at all!!
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

Perhaps it's a spill over from an upstream (Ubuntu) bug. I had the same issues with Ubuntu 11.10 and LM12 no matter which test machine I tried.
The mouse works fine, though.

Well... all hopes pinned on LM 13 :)
revdjenk

Post by revdjenk »

I have this same freeze. The commands offered in the post by vibhudost work (thanks!) but I have to keep issuing them after the next boot.
I have seen a different article with some additions to the above commands. The author says it has fixed this issue for him.
http://ev3n.com/touchpad-not-working-linux.html
Has anyone else tried these? I have sent a note to this author to find out if he has discovered anything else.

Anyone have any other news on how/when this will be fixed?

God Bless Doug
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kikito »

The gpointing-device-settings solution worked for me. However, the problem repeated itself today and when I opened the gpointing menu, the "Disable Touchpad" box was unchecked. Checking it and unckecking it solved the problem all right, but I lost all hope that this was a permanent solution.
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

Kikito wrote:The gpointing-device-settings solution worked for me. However, the problem repeated itself today and when I opened the gpointing menu, the "Disable Touchpad" box was unchecked. Checking it and unckecking it solved the problem all right, but I lost all hope that this was a permanent solution.
It was working fine when I posted the tip about gpointing-device-settings. However, after one of the updates, the scrolling doesn't work. After every login, I have to check and uncheck the 'Disable Touchpad' option under Mouse settings or gpointing-device-setting.

In other words, you are absolutely right. Sadly, this is not a permanent solution. See if the CLI commands posted by vibhudost and revdjenk work.
FewClues
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FewClues »

Life is funny sometimes. I'm faced with just the opposite problem. Every time I boot I have to turn off the pad again - and didn't in Mint-11.

You can type from the terminal
synclient TouchpadOFF=1

to turn the pad on. Likewise you can download
gpointing-device-settings
select desktop, then peripherals and finally the touch pad and set it to on (1)

But this is pretty clearly a bug because so many of us can no longer control the touch pad. Hang in there - these guys are good and they'll get er done soon.
Nightstrike2009

Post by Nightstrike2009 »

Hello everyone,

I own a Acer Aspire One D260A (A newer version of the D250)

The terminal commands:

sudo rmmod psmouse

sudo modprobe psmouse

Seem to fix the touchpad for me too (You get an error inbetween issuing both commands but just ignore it) 8)
yang093

Post by yang093 »

thank vibhudost! it works! :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Installed all updates (including the kernel and xorg drivers from package manager) and the bug appears to be fixed.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
tprof

Post by tprof »

wolverine_tech wrote: I installed gpointing-devices-settings and upon starting it for the first time, I found that the 'Disable touchpad' option was checked. (No clue why. The settings on Mouse Preferences were normal.) Upon unchecking that box, the trackpad has been working like a champ. Zero problems.
Hope that helps.
It helped a lot!
You don't need to go here:
http://live.gnome.org/GPointingDeviceSettings

You can simply use preinstalled apt-get

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings
--
greetings from Italy
ASUS K53SV i7, 2.2Ghz, 750Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 1Gb
bwsmith25

Post by bwsmith25 »

wolverine_tech wrote:
On my ThinkPad T61, the touchpad stopped working in Ubuntu 11.10 & LM12 after working flawlessly for a while.
I installed gpointing-devices-settings and upon starting it for the first time, I found that the 'Disable touchpad' option was checked. (No clue why. The settings on Mouse Preferences were normal.) Upon unchecking that box, the trackpad has been working like a champ. Zero problems.

Hope that helps.
This worked for me too! Thanks!
theregkid

Post by theregkid »

Thank you! This worked!
sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings

- Thank you dagon
ShinyPC

Post by ShinyPC »

I have a Gateway MA7/MX6912 and the touchpad is not working in Mint12 using MATE. It works with the installation CD. lsusb and lspci don't show it. I think it is not even detected. Would like to know how I can verify this. I have done most of the suggestions to activate touchpad but no luck. Any more suggestions?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Touchpads aren't in lsusb or lspci (except for some Apple laptops). They are from Synaptics, Alps or Elan and connected with PS/2 just like most laptop keyboards.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ShinyPC

Post by ShinyPC »

After exhaustive research stumbled on my answer. Mint was using kernel 3.0.0-17 but there was no /lib/modules/3.0.0.17-generic. There was a /lib/modules/3.0.0-12-generic. So using startup manager I booted with the 3.0.0-12 kernel and mouse and touchpad work perfectly. Seems like a big error, should it be reported?
bebber

Post by bebber »

My touchpad freezes (apparently randomly) on my Dell Inspiron 9400, running Linux Mint 12.
Have to logout and login again to reset.
No issues on previous Ubuntu 10.04 installation.
No indication of incorrect settings on gpointing-device-settings

Return to “Hardware Support”