Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Gekoncze
Level 2
Level 2

Epson scan

Post by Gekoncze »

Hi,
I would like to install "epson-stylus-dx4400-install.run", but it prints this error: ./epson-stylus-cx4400.install: line 22: /etc/init.d/cupsys: No such file or directory
I tried installing cupsys, but it still isnt in the directory. What do I have to do?
(I cannot use siple scan: no scanners available error)
(I cannot use Image scan!: could not send command to scanner error)
(I cannot use xsane: no devices available error)
Linux mint 9 64-bit
Packard bell Easynote TJ71;
Linux mint Debian 64-bit (dual boot with fedora 17)
gtr1957
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Epson scan

Post by gtr1957 »

Same question. I have an epson v500. On my machine (which also has bootable Windows XP and lubuntu 11.10 partitions) simply rebooting into lubuntu 11.10 has the scanner recognized and xsane (or for that matter simple scan) works fine. In Mint 12 (which I may have an excess number of desktops on - mate, cinnamon, kde) the scanner is not recognized. I tried sudo apt-get remove and reinstall of libusb1.0 and the various sane/xsane stuff, with no cure. And, yes, I have rebooted, cycled power on the scanner, plug/unplugged usb, et. al. I have noticed that when lubuntu 11.10 initially comes up that the scanner is obviously queried because it goes through some (fairly noisy) initialization stuff. Nothing happens on the scanner when Mint 12 is booted.
Jeri-en
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jeri-en »

Epson doesn't do a good job of supporting free software. If it were free there would be better supported for LinutMint. Not that you can't run into trouble with free software although it is a lot less problematic. The free software community needs to be able to fix bugs, improve upon and generally maintain drivers. A lot of projects outright refuse to work with these companies as a result. Often because they really can't. What can a project do when the software is proprietary and the license agreement prevents redistribution? When you have to hack it with every upgrade it really sucks.

Go look at getting an HP if you can instead as they have has support for free software. It will save you a lot of trouble. Free drivers and firmware are key to compatibility issues and other headaches. For the most part Epson, Canon, Dell, Lexmark, and the other manufacturers do a horrible job with GNU/Linux because they fail to recognise and refuse to support the software.

HP has a 'recommended' printer list although I wouldn't recommend anything that had non-free firmware/plug-ins. You can find out if they do by looking at the plug-in section and the firmware section. They should say:

Driver plug-in None
Requires firmware download No

I also like to check the support level and if HP recommends it:

Support level Full
Recommended? Yes

Here is the link:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/recommended.html

There is also one other thing. Figuring out if the printer will just work (without manual driver installation form the HP site). It is a bit tricky though. You have to look at what the Minimum HPLIP version is. Then find out what version LinutMint has. You can do this by finding out the equivalent Ubuntu version, and then checking packages.ubuntu.com and searching for hplip.

If that is too much just go buy one from:

http://www.thinkpenguin.com/

They offer good free software/LinutMint and can tell you what they have which they can recommend for whatever your version is and needs are.
Gekoncze
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gekoncze »

Thank you Jeri-en for the info, I just looked on the page and they really have good support for linux. And HP has also good rating from Greenpeace :) (5.9/10)... but I didn't know all that in the past when I bought it (epson) and I didn't know I will have linux, but now I know which scanner/printer to choose next time :D .
Packard bell Easynote TJ71;
Linux mint Debian 64-bit (dual boot with fedora 17)
gtr1957
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gtr1957 »

I still have the problem, and I would really like to use this scanner with mint 12, and particularly with kde on mint 12 because my 35 GB of pictures is managed with digikam and gimp from this machine. I have the pictures NFS mounted off of a turnkey fileserver, so I can in fact work on them from the other operating systems, but I would prefer to run mint 12 with the latest kernel and patches.

With the numerous changes to startup, I do not have a feel for what to do next, perhaps some upstart or blacklist derivative is blocking things? When I power on/off the scanner I get the following in dmesg:
[326748.860069] usb 1-3: new high speed USB device number 4 using ehci_hcd
[327031.281219] usb 1-3: USB disconnect, device number 4

Does anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting.
gtr1957
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gtr1957 »

Solved. Searched Epson for drivers which sent me to avasys website. Downloaded 3 files:
iscan_2.28.1-3.ltdl7_i386.deb ; iscan-plugin-gt-x770_2.1.2-1_i386.deb ; iscan-data_1.13.0-1_all.deb
Installed with sudo dpkg --install *.deb in the order iscan-data, iscan_..ltdl7, iscan-plugin.
Launched xsan and the scanner was recognized and worked.

Return to “Hardware Support”