Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
archiegoodwin
Level 1
Level 1

Crash with external hard drive

Post by archiegoodwin »

I have a western digital USB external hard drive. When I am done using it and click "Safely remove drive," the computer (Toshiba Satellite) crashes, dumps me in a text screen with a message which reads "panic occurred, switching back to text console." Two things, 1) this never happened in Mint 11, but it happens with Lisa every time; 2) it doesn't crash if I simply unplug the USB cord, only when I try to remove the drive safely. Any ideas?
gn2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Crash with external hard drive

Post by gn2 »

If possible try using Eject instead of Safely Remove Drive.
What happens?
dirtysouthern
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dirtysouthern »

I have the exact same problem and it doesn't matter if i do it 'safely' or if i 'eject' :/
grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler »

Something in the kernel has been broken since (at least) 2.6.39-2. See http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=75848

Very disappointing to see this still hasn't been fixed. The workaround of clicking the eject buttons in Nautilus' side bar before selecting safely remove has worked for me so far.
ardaeden
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ardaeden »

This seems like a problem with gnome. Ejecting USB drive by sudo umount on the terminal, doesn't cause any crashes.
jointstereotype
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jointstereotype »

I can confirm the same issue on my Asus UL20FT laptop running Mint 12 Main 32-bit. I can plug in my NTFS-formatted 2TB Western Digital external HDD (USB 2.0), navigate / copy / delete files just fine. But when I go to "safely remove" the drive in Nautilus (or by clicking "remove" at the bottom of the GNOME Shell screen) I get bumped to a text screen with a kernel panic message.

As mentioned in this thread, it seems to happen only with my NTFS-formatted external HDD; NTFS-formatted SD cards can be "safely removed" without issue. Likewise, I can "safely remove" my NTFS / fat32-formatted thumb drives (all 4GB, various brands) without trouble.

Using the "umount" command from a terminal works just fine, but this is a less than elegant way to go. ;) Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Return to “Hardware Support”