Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kyzen
Level 1
Level 1

Highly unresponsive trackpad on Macbook

Post by kyzen »

This is my first real foray into Linux as a primary-computer OS (I've had a Linux server I can barely operate running Minecraft, MySQL, and Apache, but never did much with it once I got a website and my game server up), so please forgive any stupid terminology.

I just put Linux Mint 12 on an early 2009 white Macbook (5,2). While using it, I have to press pretty hard on the trackpad for it to pick up my gestures. In OS X, I can just lightly slide across it, but in Linux (both Mint and Ubuntu), I'm having to push so hard that on a newer Macbook (the ones without buttons), I'd actually be clicking the thing.

I don't know if I should be looking for better drivers or what. I've searched around a bit, and the only thing I've found to do is to increase the sensitivity in the system settings, but that didn't seem to do much.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

mysteryd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Highly unresponsive trackpad on Macbook

Post by mysteryd »

If you have found a solution for this problem please let me know. I attempted to replace OSX with Lisa last month but the trackpad made the laptop basically unusable and went back to OSX.

clemare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by clemare »

The fact is, there is no information from apple on how the track pad works.... the behaviour is the same independent the version of your hardware. I got the same from a powerbook G4 and from my macbook 5,2. I carry with a little wireless mouse in my bag, so when I boot from linux, I don't bother to use the trackpad.

clemare

Rjhowe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rjhowe »

I just installed Mint on my white mac book 4.1

Trackpad / Touchpad

To achieve familiar behavior with the Apple trackpad go to System -> Preferences -> Mouse and select the Touchpad tab. Select Disable touchpad while typing. Deselect Enable mouse clicks with touchpad. Select Two-finger scrolling.

By default, the trackpad may not sense your finger unless you press on it. To fix this, run "synclient FingerLow=10" and "synclient FingerHigh=20" in the terminal. To make this change permanent: run "sudo gedit /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf" Find the touchpad section and add these two lines to the end of the section:
--------------------------------------------------------
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "touchpad catchall"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "synaptics"

Option "FingerLow" "10"
Option "FingerHigh" "20"
EndSection

--------------------------------------------------------

Works great now. I'm using refit for dual boot and loving it.

My souce https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBo ... d#Trackpad
:)

zippytex
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zippytex »

I got it to work temp. But I got lost in installing it permanetly.
Rjhowe wrote:
...To make this change permanent: run "sudo gedit /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf" Find the touchpad section and add these two lines to the end of section: Then he lists the 8 lines. The window that pops up is gedit. But I do not know what to do with it or where to find the trackpad file.

Could someone please write it out for me exactly? I am trying to make a late 2008 Macbook work. So far, the trackpad is the only thing that does not work. I would appreciate any help. I am using LM 16. Thanks, Mary

zippytex
Level 2
Level 2

Re:UPDATE Highly unresponsive trackpad on Macbook

Post by zippytex »

I am using LinuxMint 17 on a Macbook late 2008. Here is what I have done.

NOTE: In terminal:
synclient FingerLow=10
synclient FingerHigh=20

NOTE:To make this change permanent: run

sudo gedit /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf

(NOTE): I did the above and it works fine.

(NOTE:) I do not understand where to enter the lines below to make it permanet.

"Find the touchpad section and add these two lines to the end of the section:"

(NOTE): (HOW do I find the touchpad section?)

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "touchpad catchall"
MatchIsTouchpad "on"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Driver "synaptics"

Option "FingerLow" "10"
Option "FingerHigh" "20"
EndSection

(NOTE:) Thank you for your help.

zippytex
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zippytex »

synclient FingerLow=10 synclient FingerHigh=20

I entered the above as one line in the startup applications and it worked fine. Starts up for the Mac trackpad each time I start the machine.

I did:
menu to system settings to Preferences and then startup programs and then clicked on add, then put trackpad in space for name and then in the command line box, I put in the above line (all in one line) and clicked on add in bottom right.

It works for me. Thanks.

Return to “Hardware Support”