Mint Freezes Starting Update Manager or Activating Drivers

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nolmt60243

Mint Freezes Starting Update Manager or Activating Drivers

Post by nolmt60243 »

Kind of a noob, so please bear with me. I am tired of Windows, but need some of the programs offered on there, so I decided to dual boot with Mint.

I have completed an install of Mint on my HP h8 1020. It has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600S CPU @ 2.80GHz, 8gb of memory, I believe an Eyefinity Radeon HD6570 graphics card, and I believe that is the gist of the computer.

My issue is that after I install the OS, and then try to run either the Update Manager or activate the video drivers the computer freezes (note: I had right clicked on the hardware icon which would activate the drivers for the graphics card on the status bar and it froze my computer in the middle of typing this...had to restart twice to get it back to working again). In the last process of getting the computer back up and running, I was able to press escape to pull up some sort of list of errors, and there was basically only 2, but they kept looping. They were:

Code: Select all

[drm:radeon_ib_schedule] *ERROR* radeon:couldn't schedule IB(x)
where x is a number between 1 and 15, and it kept cycling through, almost like a bootloop, but without the boot. The second was:

Code: Select all

[drm:radeon_ib_schedule] *ERROR* Failed to schedule IB !
This leads me to believe this may be a graphics card issue, but what can I do to fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
truexfan81

Re: Mint Freezes Starting Update Manager or Activating Drive

Post by truexfan81 »

Which version of mint do you have installed? that will help narrow down the list of possibilities :wink:
nolmt60243

Post by nolmt60243 »

I installed Mint 12. Forgot to put that in the OP! My bad!
nolmt60243

Post by nolmt60243 »

I just had the computer freeze while using mint 12 and only the internet. It sometimes gets stuck in the GUI. I got into the F1 screen, but the screen kept blacking out for the first few attempts, and then it finally stayed on so that I could use the terminal. I printed out the dmesg, which I attempted to attach to this post, but the forum won't take .txt, .file, or blank extensions. I am not sure what logs I would need to print out to help with this issue...or how to attach them here...

Return to “Hardware Support”