Lenovo Energy Management software effecting Linux?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ej64
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Lenovo Energy Management software effecting Linux?

Post by ej64 »

Sorry Steve, I think I got you completely wrong :oops: Your posting isn't about power saving issues but about charging issues, isn't it? (However the kernel boot parameters _should_ help power saving)
steveplatz wrote:Thanks for your advice, ej64. I haven't yet noticed any improvement after making changes to grub - is there something I can do to track the results?
You should see some more or less dramatic increase in battery runtime.

But your gripes are about charging ...
I'm not shure if your Lenovo is supported by the tp-smapi kernel module (usually only Thinkpads are) but you may try it:

Code: Select all

aptitude install tp-smapi-dkms 
modprobe tp_smapi 
If it works there are battery charge control features that may do the trick for you.

Anyway, at least there is one comfort: regularly charging only up to 80% will increase your battery's lifetime ... :wink:
Thinkpad X220 with Samsung SSD running Xubuntu 13.04
I'm getting old gladly -- I don't like to die young ...
steveplatz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by steveplatz »

Yes, my issues are really with the 80% charge limit, but general power management advice is also appreciated, thank you. The ThinkWiki site mentions the following about Tp smapi
The ThinkPad SL series and IdeaPad series have firmware that is completely different from other ThinkPad models. Neither tp_smapi nor thinkpad-acpi support these models.
So, I won't bother installing tp-smapi-dkms. I have also read a lot about limiting the battery charge to less-than-full capacity to prolong its life, which is a benefit in this case (if not also the cause, as I still suspect that the pre-installed Lenovo Energy Management software may somehow still be effecting my firmware). Anyway, I appreciate all of your input, it helps me to understand the power regression issues with kernel versions > 2.6.38. I may also revert to an earlier OS until the release of 3.3.
steveplatz
Level 1
Level 1

Power management issues

Post by steveplatz »

Here's an update for anyone who finds this thread useful. After fully discharging my battery, it now seems that I can charge it to 100%, which will give my particular set-up about 3 hours unplugged. However, if after charging to 100% I go unplugged for only a short while, I cannot charge past the charge state when I plug it back in eg. I use it for 20 minutes and the charge drops to 89%, I cannot charge past 89% when I plug back in. So, my initial assumption that this issue was a result of the Lenovo energy management software is loosing ground, this seems like something unrelated. I'm going to change the title to something more general.
ddaann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ddaann »

On another note, Linux kernel 3.3 is in testing with the aspm power regression fix and is to be released in March....then I'll start playing around with Mint 12 again...
ThinkPad x121e LM 11 32bit
danielhartley.blogspot.com
allthingsflow.org
Sammaul
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sammaul »

I must say I am glad I ran across this thread...my power management was OK, but my laptop was indeed running hotter and my fan was going full blast 70+% of the time, and now it seems fan speed and cpu temp has improved...I have not made the changes permanent yet, still testing, but I believe I will be using this until 3.3 is available, then reverting grub changes to test how well the kernel fixes worked
ddaann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ddaann »

Jonathan um not sure we are talking about large scale industrial energy management systems but I guess the principle still applies ;)
allthingsflow.org
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

ddaann wrote:Jonathan um not sure we are talking about large scale industrial energy management systems but I guess the principle still applies ;)
Looks like a spammer.

Aaand he's gone :D
ddaann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ddaann »

This issue with power consumption is still relevant though..... bump!
allthingsflow.org
ddaann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ddaann »

The power regression issue with the 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 kernel put me off installing a new Linux Mint, or any other distro that the issue applied to.

However, after a botched dual boot reconfig last night, I've installed the newest testing of crunch bang amd64. This system suffers the same power regression issue. But I have fixed it, adding a few extra notes to the grub addition ej64 gave.

So I added this to grub:

pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.semaphores=1

Just adding pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 as ej64 was not properly recognised and reduced the graphics performance. The correct addition reduced power consumption on my x121e by 50%, so I'm now idling at 7-8 w. Still not perfect, but acceptable.

But will Linux Mint go back on? Hope so, though since becoming obsessed with my raspberry pi's I'm all for light distros.

Daniel
allthingsflow.org

Return to “Hardware Support”