How well does Mint work on a Macbook Pro?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
zosoMint
Level 1
Level 1

How well does Mint work on a Macbook Pro?

Post by zosoMint » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:21 pm

I am starting a project (a web app created using LAMP and Zend Framework using Netbeans as my IDE) that is going to take up most of my free time. I'm a full time developer who works from home, so I am already spending about 8 hours in my home office. I'd like to get a laptop so I can at least move to a different room when I switch to working on this new project. I am heavily favoring a Macbook Pro because don't own a Mac and would like the option to develop for Apple devices in the future.

How well does Mint work on the newest Mackbook Pro's? From previous experience working with Mint and Ubuntu, I know that getting everything to work (video drivers, wireless network support, etc ...) can be anywhere from a breeze to a real pain in the neck depending on the hardware.

I've used Mint on a few of my non-work PCs for a few years and I have loved it. I would like to try using as a the OS for my primary development machine but I don't want to spend a ton of time configuring it instead of getting actual work done.

What kind of experience should I expect? Are there any Macbook Pro options that I should stay away from to make sure Mint runs well on it?

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How well does Mint work on a Macbook Pro?

Post by lmintnewb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:47 pm

Overall ... have no idea. Am not a mac user. But considering already over my posting limit anyway and just posted summin trying to help some other person trying to install Mint onto a Mac. Figured why not repost a link to that thread here. It's a bit dated from 09' but still you may find it interesting or whatever. Sounds like you've already experimented with gnu/nix on a mac though.

Link.

As an aside to this and only 2 cents. My 2 cents and another $14.76 cents, will get you a small coffee at starbucks, lol. You might want to try a couple of releases of Mint. Newest doesn't necessarily mean bestest. :D I mean with all the gnome3, MATE, gnome fallback, gnome3 ate my homework n my dog stuff that's been going on, not sure if LM12 is the best LM has to offer folks. They had a lot on their plate, trying to figure out a way to please everyone. Then again ... some people say they really like gnome3 or etc too. Don't see how it'd hurt to try some stuff and see either way.

3fRI
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How well does Mint work on a Macbook Pro?

Post by 3fRI » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:22 pm

[quote]As an aside to this and only 2 cents. My 2 cents and another $14.76 cents, will get you a small coffee at starbucks, lol. You might want to try a couple of releases of Mint. Newest doesn't necessarily mean bestest. I mean with all the gnome3, MATE, gnome fallback, gnome3 ate my homework n my dog stuff that's been going on, not sure if LM12 is the best LM has to offer folks. They had a lot on their plate, trying to figure out a way to please everyone. Then again ... some people say they really like gnome3 or etc too. Don't see how it'd hurt to try some stuff and see either way.[quote]

I agree. As a long-time Mac user and a somewhat recent Linux user, "latest" certainly isn't "bestest." You might want to install Mint 9 (Isadora) alongside MInt 12 (Lisa) and compare. Personally, I found that Isadora worked best overall on both my iMac and MacBook. I've had mixed results with Mint 10 and 11, and still haven't decided whether I'll stick with Mint 12. Thanks to these forums, I've learned to troubleshoot some of the problems I've had, but not always (e.g., I still can't get !@#$%^&* iSight to work on my laptop with anything after Mint 9.). Another thing that can cause problems are installing regular updates, but I haven't experienced that as often as I did in the past.

You might also try another Ubuntu-based distro, such as Bodhi Linux, and see how it compares to Mint. FWIW, Bodhi runs much better on my aging MacBook (now a LinuxBook) than Mint 12. 8)
System 76 Pangolin: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz, Manjaro 15.12 Capella Xfce/Cinnamon 64-bit
iMac 21.5: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, Mac OS 10.11

[iWhat? Me worry?[/i]

Return to “Hardware Support”