Sudden loss of sound from onboard

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fruitjuice

Sudden loss of sound from onboard

Post by Fruitjuice »

I know there are umpteen threads about sound card issues on here, and believe me I've gone through a lot of them but have yet to find an answer to my problem.

You see my sound was all well and good until this morning. I've been using Linux Mint for about three months, since following the much travelled path of falling out with Ubuntu's new Unity interface, but all of a sudden out of the blue my sound has just gone - vanished completely. Now all settings and options point to Linux still thinking the sound should be working. It looks as if it's playing things (mp3s in Banshee, Youtube videos, avi files in Movie Player etc.) but there is simply no sound coming out. Obviously I've checked, checked and checked again that the thing isn't on mute anywhere and there is a feint hardware noise each time I do try and engage the soundcard for any reason, as if it's trying to spring into life and possibly even thinks it has done, but I'm just not getting anything.

There's no joy when I use the headphones over the internal speakers so it definitely seems to be the soundcard that's giving me this grief. System Profiler gives me no suggestion that there's a problem with the card (Intel 82801H (ICH Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)) so frankly I'm stuck.

From day one of the install sound has been perfect and now out of nowhere I am sat in silence.

I appreciate this is possibly a little vague so if anyone kind enough to help wants me to grab some diagnostic info that might shed more light on this, please let me know where I should look. I'm not a total Linux n00b but I do tend to need my instructions spoon fed to me if I'm trying to resolve issues.

Anyone with any suggestions as to the first steps I might want to try in order to release myself from this world of silence?

Much appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fruitjuice

Re: Sudden loss of sound from onboard

Post by Fruitjuice »

I should point out that I've been through the Solution for Intel ICH thread but when editing alsa-base.conf and adding the line that should help at the end, on saving the file I get the following:
(gedit:2131): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2131): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.37JX7V': No such file or directory

(gedit:2131): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2131): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.37TJ7V': No such file or directory

:(

Return to “Hardware Support”