reccomend a suitable PC for Mint

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
andrewwest

reccomend a suitable PC for Mint

Postby andrewwest » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:35 am

Hi

Is there a reccomended PC for Mint? What i mean is does mint like particular graphics cards, audio cards or chip sets etc etc?

I'm thinking of getting a new base unit just for Mint and don't want to come accross loads of problems on instal (not that i probably would!! :lol: )

Thanx

Andy

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: reccomend a suitable PC for Mint

Postby belovedmonster » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:51 am

Just avoid ATI graphics and Lexmark printers. Everything else should be OK. From my experience you only really need to worry about laptop hardware not working.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: reccomend a suitable PC for Mint

Postby Fred » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:47 am

I would avoid Toshiba just because they are so Microsoft centric. Some models you will have problems with, especially laptops, others are ok.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

andywest
Level 1
Level 1

Re: reccomend a suitable PC for Mint SORTED!

Postby andywest » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:44 pm

I managed to get my old Dell PC up and running with a new 160Gig SATA HDD todat and have re installed Mint. Everything is up and running and all i need to do is sort out the printer - again and get the scanner working. Saved myself a good few hundred quid not having to purchase a new PC. Mine is a 3 Ghz jobby with 1Gig of Ram so plenty to run Mint.

SUPERB!

Cheers

Andy

Return to “Hardware Support”