Can't uninstall free ATI drivers

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MoonShine

Can't uninstall free ATI drivers

Post by MoonShine »

Few days ago I upgraded my old computer with ATI Radeon HD 3650 512 mb (used to have GeForce 4 MX 440 :) ). I wasn't sure what to use, fglrx or radeon, so decided to try both. After first reboot, I installed fglrx from jockey, installation went smooth, but I noticed that font rendering became much worse than it used to be on my ancient geforce. So I removed fglrx (used this guide) and installed free drivers. Again, everything went smooth, only fonts didn't improve. Then, in order to enable hardware acceleration in Firefox, I decided to try fglrx again, and that's where everything became messed up.

I uninstalled xserver-xorg-video-ati and xserver-xorg-video-radeon, but after reboot System Profiler still showed 'kernel modules: radeon'.
Synaptic showed that no radeon drivers are installed at all - no radeon, no radeonhd, no fglrx.
Jockey doesn't display proprietary radeon drivers anymore, an attemp to install fglrx from Synaptic resulted in conflict (when I run Catalyst, it says that ATI driver is not currently in use, fglrxinfo command returns 'Segmentation error', System Profiler shows 'kernel modules: fglrx, radeon').

So fine, I remove fglrx again and install it from their website this time. Now Catalyst does start (and strangely, it seems that fonts are better now), but System Profiler still displays 'kernel modules: fglrx, radeon', and Firefox hardware acceleration won't work (advices me to update my drivers). How am I to get rid of this ghostly 'radeon' driver?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Hardware Support”