Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lotech
Level 2
Level 2

AMD Geode Support

Postby lotech » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:29 am

We are now seeing a stream of cheap and tiny sub notebook start flooding the market, some are using the new AMD Geode running at low clock rate like 500-900Mhz, I've seen some running XP quite alrite, I am not familiar with this new CPU type, I don't know how it compares with the Intel/AMD used in standard notebook, does anyone actually installed Mint to such thing ? it is quite tempting due to the price and size of them, the low power consumption together with the high efficiency of Linux OS will make a greener computing environment available to all.
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: AMD Geode Support

Postby Husse » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:12 am

I have not installed on one but I can say that as it is a x86 cpu it should be possible in theory if you have enough memory - you'd need a minimum of 300 to 350 for normal operation of the main edition while the fluxbox edition may only need some 150 MB
And then for a normal install of course some 3GB disk as a minimum
Someone may go below by the use of "tricks"
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

lotech
Level 2
Level 2

Re: AMD Geode Support

Postby lotech » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Some come with 8G SSD and 512 RAM I think enough, but don't know how the CPU compares to P4 or similar, it is running at low clock rate but we can not judge by that as it is a new design....
Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only ;p

Return to “Hardware Support”