Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
apr64
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] AMD 12.1 driver/Radeon HD 6970 on Mint12

Post by apr64 »

I live in Bangalore the so-called & self-proclaimed IT capital of India, where everything is MICROSOFT, Linux is ignored period. I'm using my computer for music, video and 2D/3D graphics.

My computer specs. are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H
RAM: CORSAIR XM3 DDR3 (8GB)
Grahics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 (2GB)
Monitor: BENQ E2420HD (24-inch)
SATA HardDrives (Internal): Seagate 2TB x2, Seagate 1TB x2
DVD Writers: Sony RW DRU-880S, ASUS DRW-24B3ST
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply: Corsair AX850 Professional Series Gold
Multi-OS: Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 SP1, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Ubuntu 11.04

I installed both Ubuntu 11.10/Linux Mint 12 in new partitions. By default due to the opensource ATI drivers the graphics card was running at full speed creating a lot of noise. At times the display would hang or appear with patches. Both Mint & Ubuntu had similar problems. I updated both the distros. Then from the AMD website I downloaded the latest proprietary drivers v12.1 (fglrx 8.930). Following the instructions from the "Unofficial AMD Linux Community" website, all the necessary libraries were first installed. I then installed the fglrx drivers (.deb files) which I had created.

I re-booted the computer. The screen went blank and nothing else happened. The problem was identical in Ubuntu 11.10 & Mint 12. So I formatted the partitions, re-installed both distros and updated them. I then re-installed the official fglrx drivers. In Ubuntu the result was the same as before, but in Mint the desktop appeared with a garbled top panel and unreadable fonts. Soon nothing was distinguishable. I was so frustrated and angry that I finally decided to give up.

So it's back to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS/11.04 where I didn't have any problems. I've bee using Ubuntu since 2008 and love Linux a lot. But having new hardware requires me to use a newer OS. All users are led to believe that Ubuntu 11.10/Mint 12 support the latest hardware and software. I've looked around for solutions but none are available. Looks like I'm going to ditch linux altogether and use the virus-friendly WINDOWS!!!

Can someone really help me?
Last edited by apr64 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wavespot
Level 2
Level 2

Re: AMD 12.1 driver not working with Radeon HD 6970 on Mint

Post by wavespot »

Sounds like your fglrx module isn't loaded.

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep fglrx 
should return something

If not, try :

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe fglrx

apr64
Level 1
Level 1

Re: AMD 12.1 driver not working with Radeon HD 6970 on Mint

Post by apr64 »

Thanks all the same. I forgot to mention that I had removed both Ubuntu 11.10 & Linux Mint 12. I took a chance and re-installed both. After updating the distros, I blacklisted radeon & gallium drivers before installing the AMD driver.

(/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf)
blacklist radeon
blacklist gallium
blacklist gallium-radeon
blacklist gallium-nouveau
blacklist gallium-i915
blacklist gallium-i965
blacklist gallium-r600
blacklist gallium-svga

I then re-booted and re-checked both the distros many times. They're now working fine.

Return to “Hardware Support”