Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
unclebloodyfester
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 12 KDE

Post by unclebloodyfester » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:07 am

Hi folks :)

Spent a couple of days tinkering with Fedora16 at work for a colleague but always preferred the look of Mint. The last time i used it was V9 a while ago so i've downloaded and installed the latest version and am finding it nice to use. At the moment it's sharing an SSD with Win7 whilst i find my feet but if i can crack this last issue I can see Win7 being retired to the desktop only.

Machine is a Dell Vostro 3700 running an i3 chip with 8Gb ram and intel HD graphics. Audio and webcam etc works, everything except the onboard Wifi. Got it to pick up the Dell 1501 ( BC4312) card and can activate it by typing sudo modprobe b43 ( after doing some googling) but that's a hassle and i'd like a card that is natively supported.

So i'm looking for a reccomendation for a half height mini pci card that will support wep / wpa and works out of the box.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

edit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Penguin-802-1 ... 120wt_1396 seems like the sort of thing i'm after?

vanDoom
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 12 KDE

Post by vanDoom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:23 am

unclebloodyfester
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unclebloodyfester » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:28 am

Yes - that was the exact link i followed. I was rather hoping to avoid going through the extra steps and find something that just works, cards are cheap enough so i don't mind spending £10 to get something that's properly supported - have always disliked the Broadcom stuff that Dell rebadges as their own.

vanDoom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vanDoom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:10 am

Does the wireless work ok from a livecd?

What is the 'lspci' output for 'Network Controller'?

However that PCI-E card does look like a pretty cool piece of hardware to own :wink:

unclebloodyfester
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unclebloodyfester » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Nope - it will only work if you download the earlier drivers and then use the modprobe command.

If this is just a 'problem' due to the Dell having a wireless switch then i'll stick with using modprobe in a login script to kickstart the thing :)

unclebloodyfester
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unclebloodyfester » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:29 am

Did manage to get it working on the desktop though, frustrating to find that the biggest issue is still graphics card configuration. Ati Firepro9800 finally working with a 3 monitor spanned desktop although for the life of me, i can't figure out how to enable the 4th monitor ( TV) on the SVideo output of a second card ( HD4800) but other than that, everything is good. To be honest, it will be easier to remove the 2nd card and connect the TV using a mini display port to SVIDEO adapter.

I've found out how to edit grub to boot Windows automatically if no keys are pressed - bluetooth keyboard and mouse means no keyboard available outside of either OS so i need to get a secondary USB keyboard if i want to select a different OS at boot.

First impressions on both laptop and desktop are that Linux is markedly sharper at booting / loading stuff and pretty good with graphics performance. Am missing Winamp and Trillian, i think i can get winamp working through WINE but Trillian is having none of it so i'm running that from their website which works well. The only pain with that is having to devote a full monitor and a full screen webpage as you can't float it outside of that.

I do have some more network cards knocking about at work which i will try in the laptop. If it turns out to be the wireless switch that gets in the way then hey ho.

Return to “Hardware Support”